You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Suddenly all my assets I've been creating in Publisher are gone. The menu drop down no longer shows the set I've been making. I checked the Histroy tab and it didn't show I'd deleted them and I checked the Windows recycle bin and there is nothing there. I've searched the computer for AFASSET files without luck. I may have accidentally deleted them but how can I get them back? I can't believe that they are this vulnerable. Thanks

Paul

• Staff

Assets are stored within a propcol file in the apps %appdata% folder, if they where deleted from the app they wouldn't show in the Recycle Bin.

Type %appdata% in the Windows Run window and press Enter, then browse to:

Affinity\Publisher\1.0\user

Here you will find an assets.propcol file, which you can check its size. However you can't open this to check or view your asset files.

@Paul
I guess you just have to go into publisher in your assets and click on the three small ines, there is an option for "import assets". click there and then go where the file is

Its a guess, havent tried it yet

ah and btw:
you sure you arent in the beta version for customer accidently? (only if you have installe dthe beta along the release version)
I had the issue with the asset earlier too, but then I recognized that windows opened up the document I clicked on in the BETA and not in the release version
two different softwares and then you dont have the asset in the beta you have in the normal release version

5 hours ago, PaulBraddon said:

Hi Pixel, and I'm defintiely in the new version. Looks like they're all gone. Something like this should not happen. Does anyone know how to get a message to Affinity?

These forums are how to. They (Serif) monitor, and contribute to most of these forums. They typically will not comment on the Suggested Features. They are very busy and active on the Bugs, Beta, and the Questions forums. For example, Lee D. is one of the Staff for Serif.

BTW, Affinity is the name of Serif's Apps. Asking how to contact Affinity is like asking how to contact Photoshop or Paintshop. ;)

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

5 hours ago, PaulBraddon said:

I'm defintiely in the new version.

If you have both the retail and beta versions installed, is it possible that you created those assets in the retail version?

The beta and retail versions do not share anything, and if you created the assets in the retail version it is correct that they would not be present in the beta version. You would need to export them from the retail version and import them into the beta.

The same would apply if you created them in the beta version. When you switch back to the retail version the assets would not be present there.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

@PaulBraddon It is probably not one bit helpful at this point to make this suggestion, but perhaps a thought for the future.  After you have made some assets, click on Export Assets, and save your category to an Assets Folder on your computer.  I have a separate folder each for Assets, Brushes, Macros, Palettes, Styles, and Textures and can then use them as a backup, just in case. (Very handy when we started with the new Customer Betas.   Every asset, brush, macro, etc. that was included in Photo, Designer, and Publisher, plus everything I have added since, is backed up in these folders.  Tedious to set up, but worth its weight in gold!

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

On 8/9/2019 at 3:12 PM, PaulBraddon said:

I may have accidentally deleted them but how can I get them back? I can't believe that they are this vulnerable.

8 hours ago, PaulBraddon said:

Looks like they're all gone. Something like this should not happen.

I wonder, too, how this might have been happened. When I try to accidentally delete a set of assets then Affinity forces me to confirm my approach before fulfilling the desire:

1938747556_assetcategorydelete.jpg.c1200e3a3cd5edded27a48662fa8f31e.jpg

So if you haven't deleted them they possibly are just hidden and need to get selected from the pull-down menu in the Asset Panel?
What does this menu look like to you?
Could you show a screenshot of the Asset panel?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• 1 year later...

Hi, My assets have disappeared from the latest Affinity Designer and Affinity Publisher. Am using a Mac, any ideas how to recover them - it took me a long time to collect them and I'd rather not have to go through the process again. Any ideas appreciated. 

Workaround:  If you have a backup of your macOS user folder you could try to restore your custom app assets. Depending on your Affinity purchase it's in different file paths:

Serif:  ~/Library/Application Support/Affinity Publisher/user/assets.propcol
Apple:  ~/Library/Containers/com.seriflabs.affinityphoto/Data/Library/Application Support/user/assets.propcol

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1