You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Booleans problem

Problem: items split with the boolean "divide" operation don't merge back together correctly using the "add" operation.

Simplest steps to reproduce: (or see attached file for example that brought issue to my attention, or watch attached video for clarification)

1. Create two concentric circles
  2. Subtract inner circle from outer circle
  3. Copy new "donut" and offset from original
  4. "Divide" two shapes
  5. Delete several segments
  6. "Add" remaining arcs
  7. Shape should be continuous outline, but is not.

error_example.afdesign

On 8/9/2019 at 6:09 PM, libelle said:

Thanks for the update! Sorry to post a known issue -- I looked in the forum, but must have used the wrong search terms, as I didn't find it reported. 

Serif can safely bump this issue all the way to the top of the stack. Designer has so few vector features - and yet the ones you have are primitive and faulty. Expand stroke is faulty too and "is with development to be fixed" as is boolean operations - that will be rewritten. This has been a big issue for years so when it will be fixed ... we just don't know. We just have the inferior feature. That we know.

@libelle It is indeed a known issue but it cant get reported enough. The good news is that every other product you can buy has got it right. They probably won the competition for good programmers.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

Try this scenario too:

image.thumb.png.4f7bfcd652aacefd6a402ce3e91170e7.png

Divide ... what happened?

image.thumb.png.a86f42d2832b211f316ca9ad85501dc5.png

Remove inner circles ... wait, what?

image.thumb.png.8ae786ecec78a865f1355492b5e7b4e0.png

But this is what leads you to the purchase... the contrast between code and marketing is jaw dropping... stunning:

Graphics Software Redefined

Our creative suite of professional applications for desktop and iPad have everything you need to bring your ideas to life. From the smoothest, fastest photo editing and graphic design software to the most powerful publishing software, Affinity apps are pushing the boundaries of what’s possible with creative technology.

Forget the boundaries, Serif. Get the core features working. Other companies does it right:

image.png.f80509a1fcad1e5e0eb633f46f366f40.png

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

I looked at this example to see if it's related to one I recently posted. I do 3D modeling also, and it looks like issues I've had in that realm where points that are supposedly co-positional are not properly welded together in the boolean operations even when they should be. The results in slightly different curve shapes left over, so the boolean operations do not work as they should.

Erich