You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text on PSD file opens as pixel layer in Affinity Photo

I am trying to open  a Photoshop PSD file that contains Text layers in Affinity Photo latest version 1.7.1. What I end up in Affinity Photo is a pixel layer that I can not edit (change the text).

Why is that happening and how can I open the PSD file and be able to have an editable text layer 

Thanks

2 hours ago, pwalker1005 said:

I am trying to open  a Photoshop PSD file that contains Text layers in Affinity Photo latest version 1.7.1. What I end up in Affinity Photo is a pixel layer that I can not edit (change the text).

Why is that happening and how can I open the PSD file and be able to have an editable text layer

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums.

Check the General section of your Affinity Photo Preferences:

image.png.825afb44cd3245d5a58acce71c0ad3ed.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 1 year later...

This has created a lot of problems for me and the artist I'm working with. She uses Photoshop. Been trying to get her to switch to Affinity. When she finds out the problem is with Affinity she will laugh and laugh.

Why oh f'n why is that import psd line not checked by default??????

It still doesn't fix one of the layers. It still opens as a pixel layer. But the others open as text.

Is there any way I can get this one last layer to be text?

16 hours ago, DuaneW said:

It still doesn't fix one of the layers. It still opens as a pixel layer. But the others open as text.

Is the layer in the PSD file actually a text layer? Does it have some Photoshop effects applied which rasterize it?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

18 hours ago, DuaneW said:

Been trying to get her to switch to Affinity. When she finds out the problem is with Affinity she will laugh and laugh.

“Switch to budget software. What could possibly go wrong?”

- not so famous last words 

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

• Staff

Thanks for the files DuaneW. Please check your PM's (Personal Messages).
On the first one (book_cover) the text layers must be updated in Photoshop (most up to date version) to become editable (they are in an old format and cannot be edited even in Photoshop without updating them). I've updated them and re-saved the PSD and all text layers are now recognizable/editable as text in Affinity Photo. Affinity may display a toast notification saying there were issues but the layers are there and editable. I'm afraid we can't do much here to import the original PSD file without being updated in Photoshop first, but i will pass the file to the dev team for them to check. The PSD format is proprietary/closed and poorly document, not all features are supported. 

In the second file (audio_cover), the layer named "text" is actually a pixel layer in Photoshop, not an editable text layer and as such is imported as a pixel layer in Affinity Photo.

• 5 months later...

Hi 

I've been exporting my files as psd and ticked in my preference " Import text as text rather bitmap". But once I reopened my psd files the text is no longer editable.

Is there anything else I should do to have my psd text editable?

Thanks 

• Staff

Hi @User07,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :) 
We only keep editable text objects when importing PSD files. We aren't able to export text objects as editable text/layers. We are continuously working to improve the import/export formats but certain formats like PSD which are not very well documented are a bit more challenging/problematic.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2019 at 11:46 PM, walt.farrell said:

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums.

Check the General section of your Affinity Photo Preferences:

image.png.825afb44cd3245d5a58acce71c0ad3ed.png

Not sure if its a similar "problem" or not but I have a psd file downloaded from VistaPrint (for their notebook/pad), I edited the file in Photo and added all the textlayers (there was none to start with) - yet when I open it again - they cant be edited. And I have the above checkbox checked.

Is it because Photo cant save as psd? (You have to export it as psd)

I might be missing something somewhere since Im still learning the program mostly by the "learning by doing" way - the text in the help file is so very tiny its quite straining trying to read it and I havent found a way to make that text a little bit bigger).

20 years with PS makes you a bit rusty ;) So SO happy Ive found Affinity tho - and I recommend it to all I talk to (at least one have bought Photo too :))

Welcome to the Affinity forums @ThereseW!

11 minutes ago, ThereseW said:

yet when I open it again

Affinity can read text from a PSD with the option checked, but unfortunately is not able to write it back as a text layer.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

3 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

Welcome to the Affinity forums @ThereseW!

Affinity can read text from a PSD with the option checked, but unfortunately is not able write it back as a text layer.

Thank you for the lighting fast reply Joachim - you must be related to Hermes ;) (you know...with the winged shoes, messenger of the gods).

Also thanks for the welcome :) Also - how do you change image on your useravatar? (nice kitty on yours)

3 minutes ago, ThereseW said:

Also - how do you change image on your useravatar? (nice kitty on yours)

She passed away in February. :( To answer your question, visit your profile. Have a look at the icon named Profile Photo top left.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

12 minutes ago, ThereseW said:

Also - how do you change image on your useravatar? (nice kitty on yours

However, it will be a few days and a few more posts before you can change yours. You're still too new here to have that privilege automatically granted.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

15 minutes ago, ThereseW said:

you must be related to Hermes ;) (you know...with the winged shoes, messenger of the gods

Thanks to @walt.farrell for correction. Glad I am not working in the messenger business, half of my messages will be lost on the way. ;)

------

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

However, it will be a few days and a few more posts before you can change yours. You're still too new here to have that privilege automatically granted.

Thanks! I suspected that given I couldnt find anything regarding that in my profile. Newbs be dangerous ;)