You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PSB files not opening

I see this has been discussed in the past as "I have a PSB which doesn't open" with the common reply of "please send us the file". My situation is one in which not even one of my PSB files will open. Is there a file size limitation? A general Smart Object limitation? Or perhaps a Smart Filter problem?

Attached is a PSB from another designer from a "give credit" stock site (IconFinder.com) as an example of something basic which won't open in AP.

Thanks for any help and pointers.

(I'm evaluating AP and AD as Photoshop and Illustrator replacements, but with so many years of files in my archive and among my current work, I need to feel certain that my work and experimental "idea" files won't be lost in the switch.)

iconfinder_galaxy_3285297.psb

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

Hi HYR,
This issue was already fixed for an upcoming version. Since I don't know if the cause of your issue is the same as the OP do you mind attaching the PSB file for us to check please?
I can provide you an upload link if you wish to keep the file private. Just let me know.

@MEB As the OP, will I be notified when the upcoming version is available so that I can test it?

And as stated in my initial post, I was evaluating AD and AP back in early August when I encountered the problem. Now that my eval period is past, I suspect I won't be able to download and evaluate the update. Is that correct? If so, what do you recommend?

Third, does Affinity have a fixed set of test files it uses to check each release before it goes out? If so, please give me some explanation of how the PSB issue came about. As explained earlier, I'm evaluating and would consider switching from Photoshop and Illustrator, but if PSB files were working in a previous release and then suddenly weren't, as someone reliant on my templates and such, I'd be furious and would consider the Affinity products a lost cause. I'd like to feel confident that the software QA process is better structured than it seems from this one incident.

• Staff

Hi @HYR,
There's no guarantees it's the exact same issue - if you don't mind providing the file I will add it to the log/report to be checked as well - there's nothing to lose. Here's the upload link. Thank you.

---

Hi @design.stuff,
I or someone else from QA should update this post when the bug report is closed as fixed (currently it's marked as fixed but still open/have to pass QA tests).

Regarding trialling the app again, no, that's not correct - this fix will be included in the upcoming v1.8. You should be able to install/test the trial again (v1.8) without issues (we reset it for all major releases so everyone can try the new features).

Your file also doesn't open in the previous version (1.6.11). PSD, PSB's are not fully documented formats and as such we can't guarantee fully compatibility with them nor that there will be no issues when trying to open them. Adobe updates/make changes to their formats from time to time so they end up being moving targets - some of these changes may cause issues when importing files into Affinity.

This issue in particular doesn't affect all PSB files and shouldn't cause more problems in future imports, however as stated above we can't guarantee full compatibility in all cases. We are continuously improving our import/export routines to deal with the issues reported by users as best as we can and provide the best PSD support possible.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the response, @MEB. From what you've said, the take-away message is that my many years of work and experiments might not survive if I were to switch from Adobe to Affinity apps. I appreciate the honesty, though of course I'm disappointed that the migration process might prove impossible, just based on all those unknowns and moving target issues you mention.

No doubt, Affinity is a great choice for someone just starting, or who finds themselves without complex Photoshop files. Seems like an easy choice, for those cases!

• 4 months later...
  • Staff

Hi @design.stuff,

The Betas are only available through the Forums in their respective Beta sections for users who have purchased the apps. Links for all of them below (for Mac). Install them alongside the retail(s) which may be required to validate the Beta. Apart from that they are all independent apps.
Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.8.0.5)
Affinity Photo Customer Beta (1.8.0.167 - RC1)
Affinity Publisher Customer Beta - 1.8.0.556

@MEB it appears that having a purchased license number is indeed required (no "may be required"), so there won't be trying it again, afterall. Please do us all the favor of letting us know when the feature is actually released into a trial version.

And if you'd like someone to test against a large set of Photoshop and Illustrator smart objects and PSBs, please just ask.

• 1 year later...

I have received a number of PSB files from a client....none of them will open.  Got the photoshop trial today...they open up no problem there so its not the file.

Tried in Publisher as well.  Same result ... white screen no layer information, nothing.

Hope this gets fixed or I will be back to Photoshop soon.