stratboy2

Some questions about svg and others

Hi, I come straight from Adobe cs and evaluating Affinity Designer right now.
I mainly use the app for web design. I've got some questions:

- How to be sure that when exporting an SVG file, it's box will be exactly the size of the object itself? In Illustrator I use the canvas tool for this.
- How to measure objects?
- How to have width/height infos in pixel instead of mm when using the pointer tool and dragging areas?

Thank you

Schermata 2019-08-08 alle 19.18.20.png

Hi Stratboy2,

Welcome to the forums :)

1. You could use a Slice for this in the export persona or resize your canvas to be exactly the size you need before export.

2. You can see the dimensions of objects in the Transform tab

3. You can change the document units from the document units drop down in the File > Document Setup menu.

Thanks

C

1 hour ago, stratboy2 said:

It seems there's nothing like ai's 'fit to artwork bounds'

With the Artboard tool, and some objects selected, wouldn't you get that using a Size specification of "Selection" and then clicking Insert Artboard?

Or, in the Export Persona, look in the Layers Panel, select the object of interest, and at the bottom of that panel click "Create Slice from Layer".

Either of those should give you something (artboard, or slice) that matches the object's size.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.514 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.514 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.518 Beta

I do, but the svg source is not the same as the one I get from .ai, and it's not the same even in practice: if I open the file with a graphic editor (or the browser), the real SVG canvas has not the same dimensions as the artwork. Also, using artboards in Affinity Designer, seems to add useless layers to the final svg. This is not good for web.

It's a pity, everytime I try to use Affinity Designer, I'm forced to revert back to Illustrator or Photoshop. But I bought Affinity Designer, so I'd like not to have to. I also quite hate Adobe's fee subscription mechanics, but I'm forced to them until Affinity doesn't really address such obvious web requitements like compression preview or svg canvas dimensions.

Sorry, but someone who knows more about SVG than I will have to help you with those.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.514 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.514 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.518 Beta

18 hours ago, stratboy2 said:

do, but the svg source is not the same as the one I get from .ai, and it's not the same even in practice: if I open the file with a graphic editor (or the browser), the real SVG canvas has not the same dimensions as the artwork. Also, using artboards in Affinity Designer, seems to add useless layers to the final svg.

I compared the two (AI and AD) and could not find significant differences. AD seems to crop the artboard to selection adding a small margin at top and right but this can be easily edited by cropping the artboard. When exporting, unchecking "Set viewport" causes similar export as with AI, and the size is determined by the dpi setting. I get pretty similar results from the same art when using these apps. (See the attachments.)

20 hours ago, stratboy2 said:

It seems there's nothing like ai's 'fit to artwork bounds'

ad_artboard.thumb.jpg.b3904c16b5a9e13ae5df45fbc9a56f39.jpg

Here's how AI and AD export the artboard created based on selection defined by the two black bars above (the differences in the graphics itself result from the original being an AD graph with blur effects and exported as eps and not fully translated to AI):

yes_ai.svg

yes_ad.svg