You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Overflowing text not showing in single line text

I do not know if this is just in the Beta or may be the same for retail version also. I went to export a leaflet I had designed and it said there was overflowing text. As there was not many text boxes I just clicked on each and none showed as overflowing. As I was in preview mode I clicked this off with no difference. I then clicked outside the document and the overflow box was highlighted with a red dot. I have attached the file as it is not sensitive material. I also did not spot it as it read ok without the other wording showing. I do not know if because the other text boxes overlapped had any bearing

image.png.5f0e269d2b2d0e4a9a1aabd9452377bb.png

image.png.be64f9f42b784ad77f9f35fe2bdbfdac.png

image.png.927971970186374f347f707f906b61da.png

myGP App.afpub

Alan Pickup

Windows 11 Home all Affinity suite of Apps PC and Gigabyte Laptop 16gb Ram and Nvidia GTX1660 Super on each.

I have a vague recollection early in the Publisher Public Beta of the red dots being added because the usual overflow indication can't show up unless the text frame is tall enough.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

It would be ideal  to have the actual overflow icon (handle) smaller, or somehow frame size independent. It is a very common usage to split text in one-liners (e.g. to put title, sub title, author, etc. in their own frames) -- now  you need to make the frame temporarily taller to be able to flow, and then squeeze it back to the correct height to get the desired text. So that actual overflow marker (red dot, etc.) is not enough -- one needs to be able to also flow the text.

Yes, and an always visible mark for flowing text would be usefull.

While trying to add bottom of page frames for flowing footnotes, I had to spend my time zooming enough for the little arrow (for flowing to another frame) to appear, click on it, dezoom until I can see the next page and create a new frame, adjust it...

And zoom again until I can see the red arrow for flowing text, click on it, etc.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.