You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Yikes, Still Non-Functional!!

Hallo Thomaso, 
danke für deine Antwort. Das ist ja seltsam. Ich habe es zunächst über deinen Link: https://www.techspot.com/downloads/7028-etrecheck.html heruntergeladen (startete Französisch) und danach die Version aus dem Appstore ausprobiert, auch wieder Start in Französisch.
Ich habe sie aber jeweils aus Deutschland heruntergeladen und bei mir im System ist auch Deutschland als primäre Sprache und Region eingestellt.... das habe ich schon des Öfteren beobachtet, dass ich mal etwas auf Französisch angezeigt bekam (habe sehr viel Französisch eine Zeit lang kommuniziert)... spooky... Technik... :-O 

iMac (Retina 5K, 27 Zoll, Late 2015) - 3,3 GHz Intel Core i5 - 32 GB Ram - macOS 10.14.6 (18G103) - AMD Radeon R9 M395 2 GB Ram

Oje, das klingt nach einer 'korrupten' Einstellungsdatei, von welchem Programm auch immer. Dazu fallen mir nur Standards ein:

– NVRAM zurücksetzen (cmd+option+R+P on boot).

– Einmal im Safe Boot Mode starten (shift on boot), um dabei ungewollte Prozesse zu verhindern und automatisch die Dateistruktur prüfen zu lassen.

– Ins Terminal tippen: "sudo languagesetup" (ohne " "), du bekommst eine Auswahlliste von ca. 35 Sprachen gezeigt, mit "q" beendest du das ohne Änderung.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Can't follow the language in last posts, mac and thomaso. Etrecheck I'm running is 5.3.3 from App Store. Purchased advertised 'user package.' Many thanks, wonderful program to analyze the mac. As mentioned, not following last posts...never graduated past English!! 

On a side note, additional to not reading the posts, healing from cataract surgery and reading the screen is equally troublesome! Working through that.

After running Etrecheck and looking at the report, found a few stragglers of old programs, plus some 32-bit apps that will have to go sooner or later. Cleaned things up. As I'm narrowing down, Dr. Cleaner Pro, 3rd party app, may be suspect. Have either one of you installed that app?

iMac (late 2013), 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5, 32GB Ram, Mac OS Mojave 10.14.5, Running Affinity Photo, Publisher. Running Adobe CS5.5 on external disk with Mavericks...when the bugs abate in Publisher, last line not needed.

Sorry, Wolf, the German wasn't related to this thread but about an issue with app language.

I avoid tools for "optimization" like Dr. Cleaner, those often are reported in the web as being risky, either as spyware or, especially on mac, by disturbing the self cleaning processes of the OS by its own understanding of "optimization". As far I know Dr.Cleaner was removed last year from the AppStore because of being spyware.

To get rid of a software I sometimes use "AppCleaner", which does nothing than searching for files created by a specific app, listing them and offering to delete them individually. Another search engine is "Find Any File" which allows to search in the depths of macOS more comfortable and less limited than Apples "Spotlight" (which is more specialized for user files only).

I doubt that old 32-bit apps on your mac do any harm to the system cause they are inactive. So they won't cause AfPub's crashes. I rather assume any corrupted system preference file or folder access rights which now conflicts with Affinity – though I have no concrete sample. In case you have installed a few macOS upgrades since 2013 simply on the current versions several times then there will be various items left which wouldn't be on the disk if you start with a new Mojave mac.

Probably it would help to reset/reinstall your macOS, a time consuming act of cause, especially if you don't use the MigrationAssist.app to restore your current apps and preference files from a backup but do a clean install of the system and every app. But even restoring the mac with using the MigrationAssist can help because not every single file gets backuped by TimeMachine, means to restore the complete disk from a TimeMachine backup would cause folders and some preferences become created from scratch. Maybe it could run in the background and prevent you from starring on a monitor in the sake of your 'new' eyes ... :27_sunglasses:

Thomaso, thanks for clearing up the German thread. I gave it the ole college try. Thanks also for your assessment of Dr. Cleaner. It's been good, but I have been increasingly wary of it, especially since it's removal from the app store. Will look into AppCleaner as you suggested.

When I went to Mojave, I did a clean install, everything has been looking good. Your other recommendation, using EtreCheck, is wonderful. It has helped to identify some culprits, but also confirms that I'm in pretty decent shape. Right now, I am quite clean so that is why Dr. Cleaner Pro is beginning to raise my eyebrows.

Wearing my wife's store bought cheaters to read the screen, so taking it slow. :27_sunglasses: I'm hopeful we're getting close. 

iMac (late 2013), 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5, 32GB Ram, Mac OS Mojave 10.14.5, Running Affinity Photo, Publisher. Running Adobe CS5.5 on external disk with Mavericks...when the bugs abate in Publisher, last line not needed.

Wolf, as far I know it is not the light but the eye movement which does harm and should be avoided in the days after the surgery. :221_see_no_evil:
I'm curious what experiences you will report us with Siri as an audio interface ;)

Trying to limit screen time. Vision improved, eye muscles an issue. Thought about Siri, decided not.

Anyway, busy weekend with EtreCheck and taking care of minor issues it pointed out. Bottom line is this, Still crashing. Attaching EtreCheck Report, Crash Report and Publisher file.

Thought I had a solution and was elated when I removed all Adobe garbage left over. Upon restart, I was able to open Publisher, create a new document and a new paragraph style. No Crash at this point. Closed file, reopened and tried to create a new paragraph style...Boom! Crash!

Attached files are for developers to let you know I'm doing my part to investigate on this end. Worthy to mention that Pauls suggestion to creating a new user profile did meet with success. There were no crashes. Have to admit, didn't like the consequences of having to set up my user account all over, so haven't tried that suggestion lately. 
Amazing in and of itself I was able to save a document. New style (Folio) was created on master pages. Attempt to create a second paragraph style took me back to the drawing board.

Sorry for multiple posts and repeated queries...just trying to solve a mystery. Thanks to all.

iMac 2019-09-30.etrecheck

Affinity Publisher Beta_2019-09-30-175545_iMacUp.crash

Bios and Farewells.afpub

Perhaps I've been too close to finding solutions. Did not realize, but see that Publisher is now on the app store. I have 1.7.3 official release version (from website) and 1.7.3.475 beta build. It's the beta build I've been working with (well, trying to get it to work), but just now updated my 1.7.2 original official release. It also crashes.

Is the app store version any different than the official San Serif web release or the beta builds? 

Thanks! I didn’t realize the 1.7.3 had released.

16 hours ago, Wolf Wallis said:

Is the app store version any different than the official San Serif web release or the beta builds?

I do not think they are different than the latest 1.7.3.475, but I can’t say for sure. One important thing to note is that they are different in that the release and beta versions always count as separate apps, so that all your settings, added brushes, assets, UI adjustments, etc. are not the same. Example, if you favorited a font in the beta, it will not be favorited when you open the release version until you also favorite it there.

1 hour ago, garrettm30 said:

I do not think they are different than the latest 1.7.3.475,

The 1.7.3 official releases are build .481, so there have been 6 additional builds since the last beta. Presumably there are changes, or they wouldn't have rebuilt the programs :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Walt, appreciate the clarification. Build .481 tells us the developers are certainly burning the midnight oil. 

9 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

build .481

Where can I detect the build no. in the retail versions on mac? – While it is shown for Betas in their "About" info the retail versions don't show the build after x.x.x (1.7.3) and not in the forums list of the most current versions. Also the build no for win and mac versions don't have to be identical, right?

2 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Where can I detect the build no. in the retail versions on mac? – While it is shown for Betas in their "About" info the retail versions don't show the build after x.x.x (1.7.3) and not in the forums list of the most current versions. Also the build no for win and mac versions don't have to be identical, right?

Interesting. I didn't know the Mac retail versions' Help > About omits the build number.

And you're right that the builds are often not identical between Windows and Mac for the Affinity apps. I hadn't considered that.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Walt says the build is .481, but you're right thomaso, there must be a difference, at least in reporting, between windows and mac.

The last days I was cleaning up my Mac, throwing all Adobe things over board and others, too.
EtreCheck finally finds Excellent now for my mac status.

But: it didn´t change anything concerning the TextStyles crash... it still crashes after going to TextStyles and just canceling the window without doing anything more...

I put in here my last crash report. Maybe it  can help you guys... :-)

Publisher TextStyles-Crash-20191007.txt

iMac (Retina 5K, 27 Zoll, Late 2015) - 3,3 GHz Intel Core i5 - 32 GB Ram - macOS 10.14.6 (18G103) - AMD Radeon R9 M395 2 GB Ram

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.