You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Yikes, Still Non-Functional!!

Thanks Affinity Support Team, all failures, but still hopeful.
After much trouble with Publisher official release and subsequent beta builds, spent a few weeks away from Publisher. Sometimes a break is needed to clear the head. 
Thankfully, received notification of a new beta release on August 1st. Tonight I installed it over the prior beta, cleared the program (^Open) just to be thorough, and created a new document.
From there, the attached video shows the result. Used the text context menu to create a new paragraph style. As soon as I selected OK, well, you can see...
Attaching video, as well as crash report. Was unable to save the document to attach it as well before the crash.

At this point, I am following topics, reading threads and remaining patient. This topic submission is mainly for awareness for the developers and the community at large. 

Affinity Publisher Beta_2019-08-07-201058_iMacUp.crash

iMac (late 2013), 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5, 32GB Ram, Mac OS Mojave 10.14.5, Running Affinity Photo, Publisher. Running Adobe CS5.5 on external disk with Mavericks...when the bugs abate in Publisher, last line not needed.

1 hour ago, Wolf Wallis said:

Thanks Affinity Support Team, all failures, but still hopeful.

Hmm, weird. I followed your steps as close I could and Publisher didn't crash on me at all.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

Thanks for checking, Seneca. All along, I've looked at my own OS, configuration, fonts, hardware, software and everything is still on the table. Fonts should be okay as one of the Support Team suggested looking at fonts. He was spot on, many font issues. Took the time to clear all the issues, to include returning to system fonts for my OS adding in one or two additional stable fonts.
Memory, space, general operation, caches cleared, all system checks appear okay. Missing something.

For the issue I'm having, almost no one else is experiencing this...logic tells me it's something in my system; however, it's lean and mean, runs Affinity Photo quite well and I'm frankly stumped.

iMac (late 2013), 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5, 32GB Ram, Mac OS Mojave 10.14.5, Running Affinity Photo, Publisher. Running Adobe CS5.5 on external disk with Mavericks...when the bugs abate in Publisher, last line not needed.

• Staff

Hi Wolf,

As you mention, the crashes you are getting are quite unique to your setup. We are still trying to suss out exactly why this might be, but until we can reproduce something internally it's very hard to actually fix it (and then confirm the fix, since we couldn't reproduce it to begin with). Anything you can think that might be unique to your setup (things such as third party font apps) might be useful information to help us reproduce it, but I'm sure support have already been through this with you.

The crash reports you've given us are logged.

You mention Photo running quite well, do you get no sporadic crashes in Photo? In Publisher the most constant way to reproduce it is to create a text style as described above, correct?

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

Jon, yes, creating a text style is the most constant way to reproduce the crashes. It was either you or another helpful tech who pointed me to possible font issues and that certainly was an issue just by itself originally. However, I scrubbed aggressively the fonts, removed all 3rd party font apps and am sitting with 291 fonts. The fonts are a mixture of otf, ttf, and ttc fonts. (Is the mixture of font types a culprit? I'm not smart enough to answer.)
Cannot recall Photo ever crashing and I am learning more everyday about this app. It is fantastic and has become my default photo editing software.
Microsoft Office 2016 resides on this mac and anything Microsoft-installed is suspect; however, I've had no other issues.
Certainly understand the difficulty finding a solution when the developers can't duplicate the issue. That's why patience is a virtue...especially with a wonderful and powerful app that Publisher is.
Wracking my brain for anything unique to my setup that could cause these crashes. Will continue to do so and thanks for logging my issue and getting back to me. If you or the developers come up with ideas to try or anything I might change or address, feel free.

As an addendum, should Affinity recommend that I purchase a brand new, top of the line Mac, let me know so that I can speak with my wife to gain permission.

• 2 weeks later...

Text Style changing Problem
(macOS Mojave 10.14.6, Affinity Publisher 1.7.1)

Hi Wolf, hi guys,

I have exactly the same very bad problem concerning text styles in Publisher:

Each time when I want to create a new text style or changing and saving an existing text style itself, Affinity Publisher crashes completely.
I had this problem already during the Beta phase and thought the final version would solve the problem, but unfortunately not.

I deinstalled and reinstalled Publisher several times, but the error remains. 
I have NO problems with other programs at all, only Affinity Publisher crushes when working on the text styles...
But as Wolf, I also have installed several third party fonts... but I never had problems with that fact before in macOS.

I have no more idea what to change or what to do.
Does anybody can help me or has an idea?

Best regards, Mac

iMac (Retina 5K, 27 Zoll, Late 2015) - 3,3 GHz Intel Core i5 - 32 GB Ram - macOS 10.14.6 (18G103) - AMD Radeon R9 M395 2 GB Ram

Wish I could help Mac, but I'm still crashing. Fonts have been cleaned up and streamlined, at least Font Book is happy. Removed all extra fonts and went back to system fonts, plus two additional OpenType fonts. The fonts are a combination of TrueType, OpenType, OpenType Postscript.

Other than that, stymied as to what else, even minor, could be causing the crashes.

I'm following the beta notifications and have the latest beta build installed (1.7.2.458) Same crash results. 

All I can tell you is they have logged my issue with the developers and from reading the forums, they are quite gainfully employed with the many other fixes. Hoping something will reveal itself soon.  I'm left-handed and have an open mind. 

• Staff

I'd be surprised if it's a third party font specifically that's causing it, but it could be the case. It would be nice to find out what is in common with both of yours setups that means you can constantly reproduce this crash when creating a text style, things like third party apps and so forth, although we've already been through "cleaning" out these with Wolf and not had any luck in preventing it happening yet.

@macmclaw Can you post some of the crash reports being generated when this happens?

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

Thank you very much Jon for your message,
yes it is really crazy with that bug.
I had it already during the Beta and it still remains until today with the latest update.
Ok, for me, I let all my fonts installed until now, but I have no other problems or even crashes with my macOS.
Only in Publisher it crashes immediately with the Text styles.

My iMac late 2015 info.png

iMac (Retina 5K, 27 Zoll, Late 2015) - 3,3 GHz Intel Core i5 - 32 GB Ram - macOS 10.14.6 (18G103) - AMD Radeon R9 M395 2 GB Ram

Even when I just create a new document and go to the main menu above: Text/Textstyle/create textstyle  --> the small window opens with standard name "Style"  --> even just clicking on OK lets crash Publisher.

The crash report for that scenario:

Crash-94996-a.txt

Same with menu on the right side for creating or changing an existing Text Styles - even if you don´t click OK, but abort it crashes...:

The crash report (I don´t know if it is maybe different):

Crash-94996-b.txt

Thanks Jens, yes, cleared all. With each new beta, do a complete reset, plus, create a new document.

• 4 weeks later...

A new user profile for the iMac? The Affinity apps? Not sure I'm following you.

Pauls, couple of things, may be minor, may have some bearing. 

1. Had Malwarebytes installed; however, uninstalled prior to first installation of Publisher. Last week, although Malwarebytes uninstalled, found a remnant folder in a user library and discarded that. Program itself was uninstalled.

2. My interpretation of what you mean when you say user profile is clearing all settings at startup by using Control Open and selecting all. After each failure, I have done this in order to wipe the slate clean, so to speak.

3. Lastly, there may be some success. Created a new document, setting up a new preset called Half Letter, which is, half letter size. After that, created a new paragraph style and after saying Okay, Publisher did not crash. The one big difference I did in creating this new style was in NOT having that new style show up in both Para and Text Style Panels. Left it in Paragraph Panel only. 

4. Going back just now to confirm what I stated in #3 above, while in the newly created Folio para style, Publisher did crash. As such, am attaching both the file (only title and page number inserted on master pages) and the crash report.

No idea if any progress has been made, but your note about the user profile got my interest up. 

Affinity Publisher Beta_2019-09-18-154426_iMacUp.crash

Bios and Farewells-test.afpub

Okay, got it. Will try that and see. Last attempt was with the 172.258 beta build. Downloaded and installed the 173 beta build and will try the new profile as you suggested. Can't think of any other third-party apps which might interfere.  Reducing third-party apps and removing 32-bit apps.

Well, I'll be. Pauls, you have something. 
Created a new user account on the mac. Yikes, had to validate the Publisher Beta, but found my activation key and she opened fine. I should also mention I am using the 1.7.3.475 beta build.
Purposely, went through the same routine of creating a new document preset, then, on master pages, created a new paragraph style - with all the same parameters as before.

NO CRASH!

Can you explain why my user account appears to be out of whack enough to crash Publisher? Absolutely no other problems, with Affinity Photo or any other app. How would you recommend I proceed.

Pauls, this is a most incredible development. You need to speak with the developers!

Created new admin user account and putting the latest beta build through some motions. Feels strange not having a crash. I would agree with you about the software influence. If not an actual installed app, perhaps a remnant in a plist. 

For now, holding off on switching user accounts. Copying library folders will copy the original crash problem. When the developers get the bug report, it might spark something.

9 hours ago, Wolf Wallis said:

If not an actual installed app, perhaps a remnant in a plist. 

To possibly detect a culprit you could run https://etrecheck.com/  It creates a diagnose list with apps, daemons, kernels, agents or processes that might disturb. Once it finished its diagnose you can jump to the "Report" view in the sidebar bottom to see if any strange item is mentioned. That info might help you to remove those. The Etrecheck.app itself doesn't do anything else than diagnose.

The last free version was 3.4.6 from 2017 and is still available here: https://www.techspot.com/downloads/7028-etrecheck.html

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Hello Thomaso,
can you give me a hint, how to change the language in the EtreCheck program from French into English? I cannot find the button. ;-) 

Kannst du mir einen Tipp geben, wie man das Programm auf Englisch umstellt? Ich spreche zwar auch Französisch, aber Englisch ist dann doch sicherer bei so Dingen wie System Änderungen... :-) 
Viele Grüße aus Bochum.

On 9/23/2019 at 11:55 AM, Pauls said:

Well that's some good news - I'll add that info to the bug report. As to what's causing it is hard to pin down unless we can ever replaicate that issue here. I still suspect some software influence having seen the crash report.

Hi Pauls,
same as Wolf Wallis, I created a new user on my iMac and tried Publisher there.
No problems anymore with the Textstyles... That is a good news, but not very comfortable to work on a "naked" account... ;-) 
Best regards, Mac :-) 

@macmclaw, welche version hast du denn installiert, bzw. aus welchem Land/Sprache hast du den Installer downgeloaded? Ich sehe im Programm keine Sprachwahl,  es startet bei mir in jeder Version auf Englisch und öffnet ein Fenster mit kurzem Infotext und Auswahlmenu zur Diagnosemethode.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.