You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crop problem still not fixed!

Hi,

Downloaded the Beta of Affinity Photo to check if the crop tool was fixed but unfortunately not! When I try to crop an image the crop is far above and beneath the image and I have to scroll up and adjust and scroll down and adjust and this for every image I have to crop. In the old version of Affinity Photo this worked perfect and the crop tool was placed at the top and bottom image border like it should.

How long do we have to wait to get this fixed or is this going to stay? Don't understand the idea behind it! It's just a bad work flow!

Regards,

David

What mode of crop are you using, and can you provide a screenshot?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

11 minutes ago, PetervL said:

If you change preferences the problem will not be a problem anymore.

Preferences => Tools => Check "Use mouse wheel to zoom"

You will see how easy the cropping now will be.

No unfortunately when I do a 1:1 crop with your settings in the preferences it's still above and beneath the image and I have to scroll! 

The issue is the fact that the crop tool doesn't align with the image top and bottom anymore. Just watch the 2 video's and see what i mean!

I understand what you mean, but it used to crop in one click and align with the top and bottom of the image. When you have loads of cropping to do it's not workable how it is now.:) also not by zooming with the mouse wheel. In webdesign you use different ratios for art direction and it used to work instantly. I can not even create certain ratio's, because the save presets don't work proper. ( this is already reported by the way!).  

1 hour ago, All Media Lab said:

it's still above and beneath the image and I have to scroll! 

No, you don't. You could just grab the node on the left side and drag it to the right. No scrolling needed, just 1 drag.

But you're right that it has changed, and I think the new behavior is probably a bug.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Thanks for having a look at it Walt! That makes it a bit more easy, but it's still not the way it should be. How can I report this bug?

In the old version of Affinity Photo  I have made ratio's presets for phone portrait, tablet portrait , full screen etc and I can just pop them in and make art directions in only a click like I showed in the second video. In the new version it is a lot of extra work to get the same result including your node drag technique.

Regards, 

David

1 hour ago, All Media Lab said:

How can I report this bug?

I believe it's not unique to the Beta, so you would create a new topic in Photo Bugs Found on Windows.

-- Walt
PC:

I think the problem is that with 1:1 photo has to choose one dimension to start the crop and in this case is choosing the longest dimension, whether previously it chose the short dimension I do not know or if there is a setting to change the preference.

However if you click on rotate before applying the custom dimension it will crop the 1:1 to the shortest dimension

Alan Pickup

Windows 11 Home all Affinity suite of Apps PC and Gigabyte Laptop 16gb Ram and Nvidia GTX1660 Super on each.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 8/12/2019 at 1:48 PM, MEB said:

Hi All Media Lab.
This is a known issue that's logged for both systems. It wasn't fixed yet simply because there wasn't time to do it yet. Please bear with us. I've updated/bumped the report yet again to bring it to devs attention.

@MEB Just curious, is this still an outstanding issue in the newer versions?  Id like to upgrade from 1.6.5, but with no easy way to roll back, I dont want to mess up my currently working 1.6.5 install. Thanks!

@MEB:  I can confirm that this problem is fixed.( one full version later, the report was at first  for the 1.7.xxx beta) Many thanks .I have tested all 1.8.x beta versions with my photo workflow and had no crash !!!

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, iPad 8, MACOS Sonoma & iPadOS, Affinity V2-Universallizenz 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.