You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Issues with merge selected and merge down not properly merging layers and more

First off, I was using the latest Beta build when I did my testing. Now to the topic at hand.

I have noticed several issues with merging layers in Affinity, specifically Photo, that make them not function as well as I had hoped. I have made videos showcasing issues where merge selected and merge down do not properly rasterize the objects that should get rasterized when using them. Also, even in the cases where they do work, the new layer gets moved out of position every time (I was using an artboard canvas after porting the file over from Publisher).

These issues are what I would consider bugs. Here is what I think needs fixing.

Merge selected needs to automatically rasterize every selected object in your layer stack so you can can properly merge them together. Right now it does literally nothing to Groups, Shapes, and other types of special layers that aren't Pixel Layers when selecting them, which is not how I expect this feature to work (see Photoshop). Merge Down also needs to automatically rasterize every object below it, so if a group of hundreds or even thousands of objects are below the layer, Merge Down needs to rasterize that entire group and merge with the layer you wanted to merge down with. Right now you have to rasterize before being able to use these merging options, which should not be the case.

Speaking of rasterize, this feature doesn't rasterize every selected objects in the Layers panel, thus making the previous issues quite annoying. Rasterize needs to always work on every selected layer, not just one layer at a time.

Finally, merging layers should always keep the newly created layer stationary. No moving around afterwards. It might have something to do with me using an artboard, since I don't recall this ever happening with a regular canvas.

P.S. I know I found another bug regarding merging that I didn't have a chance to record at the time, so once I find out how to replicate it, I will try to post it here.

3 hours ago, GabrielM said:

I could not replicate this from scratch.

Here's a recipe for part of it, which I was also planning to post about. This is not new with the beta, by the way, but I don't know if it's new with 1.7.

1. File > New
  2. File > Place an image.
  3. Duplicate the (Image) layer one or two times.
  4. Select all the layers. Make note of the order you selected them, paying attention to which layer you selected first.
  5. Right-click and choose Rasterize, or use Layer > Rasterize.

Now examine the layer types that you have. The layer you selected first will be a (Pixel) layer, but the others remain (Image) layers.

If Rasterize (also Rasterize and Trim) are going to function when multiple layers are selected, they should operate on all of them. If they're not going to operate on all of them, the operations should be disabled in the menus.

For Rasterize, the effects are somewhat obvious based on the layer type labels at the end, when you start with vector or image layers. For Rasterize and Trim the effects may be less obvious, because in addition to the rasterization affecting only the first-selected layer, the Trim affects only that layer, too. This affects the results of a Document > Clip or Unclip after cropping a multi-layer file.

Here's a sample document to demonstrate some of that. It has three layers: Background (b), a pixel layer with vertical stripes (v), and a pixel layer with horizontal stripes (h). There are several snapshots in the document, showing the differences that occur depending on the layer selection order when performing a Rasterize and Trim followed by an Unclip.

crop-rasterize-clip.afphoto

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

10 hours ago, GabrielM said:

Hi @Frozen Death Knight,

Sorry for the delayed reply. 

I could not replicate this from scratch. Do you mind attaching this document so I can log these issues with our developers?

Thanks,

Gabe. 

Hey! No worries. :)

Which issue couldn't you replicate? The one where merging moves the layers to the right, the one where merge selected and merge down don't merge with groups and shapes, or the one where rasterizing doesn't actually rasterize all selected layers? I could send the file I was working on over to you if needed, but how do i send it privately?

• Staff
On 8/7/2019 at 6:23 PM, Frozen Death Knight said:

Speaking of rasterize, this feature doesn't rasterize every selected objects in the Layers panel, making the previous issues quite annoying. Rasterize needs to always work on every selected layer, not just one layer at a time.

We are aware of this and it has already been logged with our developers for improvement. 

I could not replicate the layers moving after you merge them. The others are just a variation of the issue we are already aware of. You can upload the file to our dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/request/fMOlX2XauONvuJYGdRFr

15 hours ago, GabrielM said:

We are aware of this and it has already been logged with our developers for improvement. 

I could not replicate the layers moving after you merge them. The others are just a variation of the issue we are already aware of. You can upload the file to our dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/request/fMOlX2XauONvuJYGdRFr

Okay, I sent it over to you. I made a copy of the helmet part with a selection. Just use merge down on it and the issue should be reproducible (I hope!).

• 8 months later...

This issue has not been fixed with version 1.8.3. When will it be fixed?

Layer-merge selected also changes the visible content of merged layers even when there are no hidden layers or adjustments. This is a real problem as you can not rely on the merged layer to contain what was visible before the layers were merged. Even merging two normal layers will bring content from a lower layer to the top. Huge problem!!!

yes, it is a fairly serious issue... when compositing I am forced to keep all layers separate as merging invariably blurs the result. I would post an example but it seems I am not allowed (maybe because it is my first post?).

• Staff

Welcome to the forums @RogueM

On 5/12/2020 at 12:02 PM, RogueM said:

I would post an example but it seems I am not allowed

Can you describe "not allowed"? I've just tested this on a new account and the only limit is file size (512mb)

I get weird happening with merge selected too. Layers are reordered when flattened and sometimes some are simply deleted and not included in either the flattened version nor do they exist as a separate layer. I can't say I've seen the blurring problem.

• 8 months later...

I’m sure this is user error... but here I go... I drew out a big macrame piece using 3 colors. I wanted all of the lines of each color on their own layer. So 3 layers total. But when I got done, there was a million strokes on individual layers for each color. I tried to merge them all to be on their own color, but they won’t budge... I don’t want raster, only vector... . Also... even though I have ‘constrain objects when resizing’ selected in the iPad’s app preferences, it still allows me to distort my areas when scaling, and I don’t want them  distorted, but rather constrained.

Edited by Macwellsart

• 1 year later...

@Gabe @Dan C I have been able to solve the problem of Merge Selected and Merge Down on my own, including fixing the moving layers bug and not being able to merge Pixel Layers with other layer types by making my own macros. They are also significantly faster than the current operators, since they use Groups and Rasterize as a part of the macro to achieve the exact same effect as these operators. I've had multiple times where Merge Down and Merge Selected have either not worked at all, slowed down Affinity, or even crashed. Meanwhile there are zero downsides with these macros and are also significantly faster than the current ones since they don't create any waiting times for the operators to finish. Nor do they crash for that matter.

Here's another related bug thread where I managed to fix a bug with my macros.

I suggest to the devs to incorporate these into Affinity instead of the current Merge Selected and Merge Down operators. They do everything I could ask for when merging layers. Here are some video demonstrations as well as the macros themselves.

Merging Macros.afmacros

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.