Frozen Death Knight

Issues with merge selected and merge down not properly merging layers and more

First off, I was using the latest Beta build when I did my testing. Now to the topic at hand.

I have noticed several issues with merging layers in Affinity, specifically Photo, that make them not function as well I had hoped. I have made videos showcasing issues where merge selected and merge down do not properly rasterize the objects that should get rasterized when using them. Also, even in the cases where they do work, the new layer gets moved out of position every time (I was using an artboard canvas after porting the file over from Publisher).

These issues are what I would consider bugs. Here is what I think needs fixing.

Merge selected needs to automatically rasterize every selected object in your layer stack so you can can properly merge them together. Right now it does literally nothing to groups, shapes, and other types of special layers that aren't pixel layers when selecting them, which is not how I expect this feature to work (see Photoshop). Merge down also needs to automatically rasterize every object below it, so if a group of hundreds or even thousands of objects are below the layer, merge down needs to rasterize that entire group and merge with layer you wanted to merge down. Right now you have to rasterize before being able to use these merging options, which should not be the case.

Speaking of rasterize, this feature doesn't rasterize every selected objects in the Layers panel, making the previous issues quite annoying. Rasterize needs to always work on every selected layer, not just one layer at a time.

Finally, merging layers should always keep the newly created layer stationary. No moving around afterwards. It might have something to do with me using an artboard, since I don't recall this ever happening with a regular canvas.

P.S. I know I found another bug regarding merging that I didn't have a chance to record at the time, so once I find out how to replicate it, I will try to post it here.

3 hours ago, GabrielM said:

I could not replicate this from scratch.

Here's a recipe for part of it, which I was also planning to post about. This is not new with the beta, by the way, but I don't know if it's new with 1.7.

1. File > New
  2. File > Place an image.
  3. Duplicate the (Image) layer one or two times.
  4. Select all the layers. Make note of the order you selected them, paying attention to which layer you selected first.
  5. Right-click and choose Rasterize, or use Layer > Rasterize.

Now examine the layer types that you have. The layer you selected first will be a (Pixel) layer, but the others remain (Image) layers.

If Rasterize (also Rasterize and Trim) are going to function when multiple layers are selected, they should operate on all of them. If they're not going to operate on all of them, the operations should be disabled in the menus.

For Rasterize, the effects are somewhat obvious based on the layer type labels at the end, when you start with vector or image layers. For Rasterize and Trim the effects may be less obvious, because in addition to the rasterization affecting only the first-selected layer, the Trim affects only that layer, too. This affects the results of a Document > Clip or Unclip after cropping a multi-layer file.

Here's a sample document to demonstrate some of that. It has three layers: Background (b), a pixel layer with vertical stripes (v), and a pixel layer with horizontal stripes (h). There are several snapshots in the document, showing the differences that occur depending on the layer selection order when performing a Rasterize and Trim followed by an Unclip.

crop-rasterize-clip.afphoto

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.239), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.464 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.4464 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.458 Beta

10 hours ago, GabrielM said:

Hi @Frozen Death Knight,

Sorry for the delayed reply. 

I could not replicate this from scratch. Do you mind attaching this document so I can log these issues with our developers?

Thanks,

Gabe. 

Hey! No worries. :)

Which issue couldn't you replicate? The one where merging moves the layers to the right, the one where merge selected and merge down don't merge with groups and shapes, or the one where rasterizing doesn't actually rasterize all selected layers? I could send the file I was working on over to you if needed, but how do i send it privately?

On 8/7/2019 at 6:23 PM, Frozen Death Knight said:

Speaking of rasterize, this feature doesn't rasterize every selected objects in the Layers panel, making the previous issues quite annoying. Rasterize needs to always work on every selected layer, not just one layer at a time.

We are aware of this and it has already been logged with our developers for improvement. 

I could not replicate the layers moving after you merge them. The others are just a variation of the issue we are already aware of. You can upload the file to our dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/request/fMOlX2XauONvuJYGdRFr

15 hours ago, GabrielM said:

We are aware of this and it has already been logged with our developers for improvement. 

I could not replicate the layers moving after you merge them. The others are just a variation of the issue we are already aware of. You can upload the file to our dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/request/fMOlX2XauONvuJYGdRFr

Okay, I sent it over to you. I made a copy of the helmet part with a selection. Just use merge down on it and the issue should be reproducible (I hope!).