You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

File recovery lost if og file is missing (recoverable by placing another file with the same name in its place)

I stumbled upon this by mistake. You can make a file, save it in a location, and with affinity open still work on it. Now via windows explorer rename the file and/or move it from its location. If AD closes unexpectedly and you didn't resave the file after it being renamed/moved, when you open AD again and go to open recents you'll get the "missing file" error before being able to recover the saved data. However, if you move the file back/rename it back to the way it was (could maybe work even with an empty .afdesign file) and try opening that in AD, it'll show the correct recovery file options and recovered files.

Now, this could be solved one of two ways. Either prompt to open the recovery file of the files that are found missing in Open Recents, OR, have an option to see the files for which recovery states are currently present in Affinity.

Mădălin Vlad
Graphic Designer

• Staff

Hi @m.vlad,

Sorry for the delayed reply. 

The auto-recovery relies on the original file still being in the same location. You cannot just open the auto-save file as that's not a complete .afdesign file, but only a "temp" file used to recover the main file. In a nutshell, you need both the autosave file and its "parent" in the original location for it to work. 

What I could not reproduce is 

recoverable by placing another file with the same name in its place

Can you attach a screen recording of this in action? 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

3 hours ago, GabrielM said:

Hi @m.vlad,

Sorry for the delayed reply.

The auto-recovery relies on the original file still being in the same location. You cannot just open the auto-save file as that's not a complete .afdesign file, but only a "temp" file used to recover the main file. In a nutshell, you need both the autosave file and its "parent" in the original location for it to work.

What I could not reproduce is

Can you attach a screen recording of this in action?

Thanks,

Gabe.

as previously mentioned, it was only a theory. i tried a switch-around and indeed, it doesn't recognize that there's an autosave. I have no idea how to propose a solution for this then, maybe an indicator that there exists an autosave for a file but since the source file changed it won't be used?

Mădălin Vlad
Graphic Designer