You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cat images

• Staff

Hi Josie,

I worry that all of the threads you make end in someone making the work for you, I don't want you to ever feel like this forum is a place you can't ask for help it is and always will be a great learning resource for Affinity users. However I have noticed your threads typically revolve around similar issues which makes me worry that because people guide you step by step through whichever design it is you are trying to create not all of the information is taken on board. The techniques explained to you in this thread should be enough to create all of the designs shown above.

What I would ask is that instead of asking how to do something instead try creating it yourself and if you get stuck explain to us what you have tried and if possible provide a screenshot of your work so far. This would enable us to build upon the foundation of knowledge you already have instead of starting over with every thread. If you don't know where to start with a design like this I recommend taking a look at the tutorials V_Kyr suggested you look at here.

Thanks

Callum

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

• Staff

Hi Josie, 
You may also want to take a look at these written tutorials for Envato tuts+ website. They cover various techniques to draw/illustrate in similar styles:
- How to Create a Stylish Emoji in Affinity Designer (by Kamil Khadeyev)
- How to Create a Funny Ice Cream Character in Affinity Designer (by Andrei Stefan)
- How to Create a Cute Rooster for Chinese New Year in Affinity Designer (by Yulia Sokolova)

For even more tutorials like these search for Affinity Designer tag in the Envato website. Here's a direct link to the results.

11 minutes ago, Josie said:

this is what I have so far. How do I make a cat out of this?

popsicle.png

Think about what it lacks that a cat usually has. Pointy ears, a nose, whiskers and a tail spring to mind. Oh, and a cat’s eyes usually aren’t that shape.

7 minutes ago, Josie said:

Using the iPad.

As I’ve mentioned in your other threads, you don’t need to specify that when you’re posting to the ‘Affinity on iPad Questions’ forum. ;)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

13 minutes ago, Josie said:

How do I use the shape tools and the node tool to make the cat pictures?

You probably don't. It would be better to learn how to draw the shapes, using the Pen tool.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff
22 minutes ago, Josie said:

How do I use the shape tools and the node tool to make the cat pictures? Get back to me ASAP.

1CA917E0-8DDC-4E57-B511-4BA76F91CC41.jp2

91789B48-818F-40FB-BA0C-B6FA0B422513.jp2

CB4E999B-025D-4B70-AC8D-A62829172F95.jpeg

4208E5EF-992F-4A88-9149-1DA589FADEF6.jpeg

622BFDCB-DC99-45E3-8D4F-29F5E0323BD8.jpeg

Attached is a quick video showing how to create the head of the strawberry cat just using Quick shapes I recommend practicing following my video a few times until you are able to get a result similar to mine without using the image as a guide. Mine was just a quick rush job so with more time I'm sure you could do a much better job. I would also recommend trying to trace over the images with the Pen Tool so you can get an idea of the shapes that make up the image itself. I realise you are working on iPad but the same techniques apply.

1 hour ago, Josie said:

How do I do frosting and ice cream drips off an ice cream cone to make it look good?

Do you mean like the two shades of brown at the top of the Storyblocks popsicle? If so, you just need to draw a shape filled with the lighter shade, break it so that you have a top half and a bottom half, and then duplicate the bottom half and give it a wide stroke with a darker shade of the original fill colour. Tweak the pressure profile to vary the width of the darker stroke.

Alfred spacer.png

• Staff

Here is another video showcasing how I would create the ice cream and cone using just quick shapes alone, again combining these techniques with the Pen Tool will provide results very close to the examples you provided. This combined with my previous video should be more than enough to get you started. Attached is a  sample picture I was able to make yesterday entirely out of quick shapes and very basic Pen Tool lines in under 20mins. With more time I think you could make one much better than mine following the videos I provided.

Screenshot 2019-08-08 at 13.26.46.png

15 minutes ago, Josie said:

How do I make ice cream like these?

Follow @Callum’s excellent example, constructing each ‘cat’ by adding shapes together. Use the Pen Tool to create features such as paws and whiskers.

Alfred spacer.png

On 8/10/2019 at 9:01 AM, Josie said:

How do I create drips off an ice cream cone and then use the node tool to edit them to look like this?

Practice outlining like this, Load an image and trace lines with pen tool then shape with edit. Keep practising with different images.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

50 minutes ago, Josie said:

HOW DO I MAKE THE OUTLINE disappear from the image ...

If you want a shape with no stroke, either set the stroke width to zero or set its fill to ‘No Fill’.

... if I use the pen tool in 7.3 after tracing the whole picture?

What does 7.3 refer to? :/

It’s a good idea to rename your files to something other than ‘Untitled’, especially if you’re sharing them with other users. Tap on the three-bar ‘hamburger’ icon on the home screen to access the ‘Rename’ option for the selected file.

Alfred spacer.png

7 minutes ago, Josie said:

How do I fill the different sections with different colors without outlining it with the pen tool a million different times?

Are you asking how to change the colors in the existing image? Just select the part you want to change, and change its fill color.

(By the way, you seem to have a lot of empty pixel layers in there. I'm not sure why you're creating them, but I don't think they're doing anything for you.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1