You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm a beginner with Affinity Photo and would like to know how experienced users develop their RAW files?

Do you do as much work as possible within the Develop Persona, then develop the image and only use the Photo Persona for operations not available with the Develop Persona?

Do you do a minimum of work within the Develop Persona, then develop the image to complete in the Photo Persona?

I'm not asking about any "special effects" to images like using tonal brush tools etc., it's basic image development.

Thanks, Jon Haines 

Hello @Jon Haines,

The question is not so easy to answer, because everyone develops their pictures individually.
My workflor is following:

Settings in the Panel Basic:
Exposure
Contrast
Clarity
sometimes Shadwos and Highlights

Settings in the Panel Details
Details Refinment

Settings in the Panel Lens
if needed Lens Profile distortion

Tip, the previously made settings can be saved as a presets.

Then click on develop, and further processing is done in Photo-Persona.
Maybe there is one or the other who describes his workflow.

Cheers

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3447)

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/7/2019 at 4:44 AM, Jon Haines said:

Do you do a minimum of work within the Develop Persona, then develop the image to complete in the Photo Persona?

Short answer Yes.

I am Old School regarding Photography. My Camera is set to full manual and so My workflow is to fix the exposure, white balance and colour fringing, chromatic aberration (I have some old Nikkors on my Canon via an adapter) as good as I can but I don't go overboard on them. My advice is to just start simple, for example use the curves to set the tonal range approximately in the Develop Persona and fine tune it afterwards. In other words get to close enough in Develop Persona then do most of the fine work in Photo (with the exception of colour fringing and chromatic aberration fixing, I prefer that to be done to a T in Develop Persona).

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I have wondered about this myself.

My present approach is to do the least possible in Develop. I use the defaults in Develop Manager so I get lens corrections.

Then I run a batch job on all the raws in the directory of new pictures saving as afphoto files.

When you select a large number of files you may get a brief 'not responding' message. No problem; it just needs time.

When you run the batch you can see progress and I used to watch it. The present release (1.7.2.471) seems to be reliable, so now I go and make a cup of coffee while the batch runs. The batch uses all the cores of the processor. Its best not to try and do anything else on the computer while the batch runs.

I would be interested to know how Serif developers intend it to be used.