You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Gradient Tool Disappears While in Use

Earlio

I have come across this behaviour when using the Gradient Tool on a Pixel Layer.

Just when you need the tool most, the line showing how the gradient is positioned disappears.

Model Name:

MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro14,3

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.9 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 8 MB

Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled

Memory: 16 GB

Boot ROM Version: 198.71.1.0.0

SMC Version (system): 2.

This only seems to happen when either gradient handle is dragged below the bottom of the canvas. It's not a problem on the left, top and right edges. (NB: There's something odd going on with video uploads, hence the 'No video with supported format' that can't be deleted!

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2402)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

Hi Hangman,

Yes, it is only when dragged off screen on the bottom.  Once the Gradient Tool has been released, the line does not reappear making picking up the tool (or tool handles) impossible to readjust, or to select colours.

On further investigation, it would also seem that this behaviour only works when the line is outside of the work area, below the tip bar at the bottom of the screen.

Hi Earlio,

For me, the handle seems to be vanishing when it reaches approximately 100px from the bottom of the screen but once it vanishes, if I let go of it, it re-appears so I can grab the handle again. It only vanishes for me when dragged in the area around 100px from the bottom of the screen.

If I scroll the canvas so that it only fills a small area at the top of the screen, again, the gradient handle only vanishes when it reaches 100px from the bottom of the screen, so it is visible up until the point.

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2402)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse