You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

So I'm trying really hard to figure out Designer. I apologize for these nuub questions, but I'm just not finding answers in the forum, the help files nor the video tutorials.

So I have the letter "A" that I've created curves for, and I want to delete the cross bar. Again, cannot figure out how I would select those two segments of the shape. I don't want to delete any nodes; I'd rather leave those and join them back together.

How does one go about selecting (and in my case deleting) segments of a shape?

I've tried selecting the shape with the node tool, and then dragging over the segments, but when I go to delete it the entire shape is deleted, not just the segments. If I click on the segments with the node tool, it appears to add nodes to the segment, not select the segments.

Screen Shot 2019-08-06 at 12.02.52 PM.png

If you were to delete the red node shown in the middle of your screenshot, you’d be deleting a vertex of the triangular counter (which is clearly not what you want). I suggest covering the crossbar with a suitable shape (e.g. using the Trapezoid Tool) and then using the ‘Subtract’ command after converting to curves.464C36F6-DE3E-4B87-A908-B45760B09FDF.jpeg.f13254c0687622132d9c0228b92fe48a.jpeg

49DDEDFB-529D-4008-8984-7B3E316114BB.jpeg.d3e0a6069016f2814578c05f7021ca0b.jpeg

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

No, I don't want to delete the node. I don't want to delete any nodes. Not sure why that node is red. I took the screen shot simply to show the segments I was trying to select.

So there is no way to select segments in Designer?

10 minutes ago, stutes said:

No, I don't want to delete the node. I don't want to delete any nodes.

Oh, OK. I obviously misunderstood what you were trying to convey when you wrote

37 minutes ago, stutes said:

I've tried selecting the shape with the node tool, and then dragging over the segments, but when I go to delete it the entire shape is deleted, not just the segments.

As for your remark

10 minutes ago, stutes said:

Not sure why that node is red.

the answer is that the colour identifies it as an end node.

Anyway, back to your original question: I really think subtracting shapes is the best way to go unless you’re happy to get involved in the tedious business of breaking the curve at selected nodes, deleting the part that you want to discard and then joining the remaining parts together again.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

17 hours ago, Alfred said:

the answer is that the colour identifies it as an end node.

@stutes, this is why if you look carefully at the shape, you will see that there are two red nodes, & that in the Layers panel the layer is a "(Curves)" layer (note the plural). A vector shape can have only one end node, so when you used the Convert to Curves button (note that is also a plural), Affinity created a "(Curves)" layer consisting of two curves.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

So, this isn't really related to my original post, but as it came up as part of the answer, I've a follow up question: is there a way to have a different node become the end node; in other words, move the end node from one node to another?

1 minute ago, stutes said:

... is there a way to have a different node become the end node; in other words, move the end node from one node to another?

A curve can have only 1 node where it starts & 1 node where it ends, which will be the same node if the curve is closed. The Reverse Curves button on the context toolbar when a curve is selected with the Node Tool will swap those 2 nodes.

But if you mean moving the end node to some other node on the path besides those 2, the answer is no. That's because a vector path can't have branches -- IOW, a node can connect no more than 2 segments of the path.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7