You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Repeated crashes cloning in 1.7.1

I'm experiencing persistent crashes while attempting to clone part of one image to another.  I'm running Affinity Photo 1.7.1 on a 2018 MacBook Pro 15" with macOS 10.13.6.  Here is one of the crash logs:  Affinity Photo_2019-08-06-172523_RRL-MacBookPro15.crash.  I'm trying to clone Ina, a colleague, out of Ina.tiff and replace her by the bench in No_Ina.tiff.  So, following @James Ritson's tutorial (for 1.6, https://player.vimeo.com/video/192599318/), I enter the latter as a new source in the Sources panel, double click it there, choose the cloning tool and option-click on a common point in the two files.  Then I go to Ina.tiff, activate the cloning tool, and click No_Ina.tiff in Sources.  Now I run into a first problem:  the preview of the cloning brush is practically useless, as only bright spots of light appear when I hover over some part of Ina.tiff.  Taking a chance on where to place the cloning brush, I click-drag.  Soon after I finish, Affinity Photo crashes.

The other problem I have with cloning in this way is, I don't seem able to clone from one pixel layer to another in the same document, let alone between documents.  Why not?  The history for this is, I first developed the a RAW file to produce the Background layer of the document with Ina, then found I had another RAW file that I hadn't intended to develop with just the bench.  So I developed it, then copy-pasted it into the document that I was working on in hopes of being able to just clone between the two Background pixel layers instead of having to export both and, I assume, lose the advantage of developing and working in 32-bits.

Affinity Photo_2019-08-06-172523_RRL-MacBookPro15.crash

No_Ina.tiff

Richard Liu

MacBook Pro 16" 2021 M1 Max | macOS 12.3.1 | BenQ SW271 | Affinity Photo 1.10.5

Here are the two tiff files again:

By the way, the spots in the loupe where probably due to the fact that a painting brush had been selected and I had increased the brush size.

Edited by Richard Liu
Added BTW

Richard Liu

MacBook Pro 16" 2021 M1 Max | macOS 12.3.1 | BenQ SW271 | Affinity Photo 1.10.5

• Staff

I've had no issues following that tutorial. It works just fine. There is a perspective issue but this is expected as the photos are not taken from the exact same place, and the clone tool will not correct this. If you attach a screen recording of your workflow, we can have a look and see what you're doing wrong. 

• 10 months later...

The Sources panel is very useful, but I have run into a problem. I have precisely positioned the pixel art (what I wish to clone) in a separate layer on the doc to which want to clone it. However, when chose the pixel layer that contains this pixel art and click to add it as a source, only the name of the doc to which I want to clone appears. Question: Must I use a separate document as a pixel source (as the above video states) or can I make the pixel source a layer within the same document I am editing? If so, how can I select this layer in my Source panel?

Edit Added Later: I believe I've solved my query. I was attempting to clone pixel art from Af Photo to APub in AffPhoto persona. I had to bring both docs of pixel art into APhoto. Thus not all features of APub in AffPhoto persona work in this regard. Am I correct in assuming that one must have both docs in native APhoto? My question remains. Must I have two separate docs or can I clone from one layer to another in the same native AffPhoto doc?

• Staff
On 6/20/2020 at 11:46 PM, Jim Monson said:

I was attempting to clone pixel art from Af Photo to APub in AffPhoto persona.

I'm afraid it won't work like that. You nee to be inside the same app. 

On 6/20/2020 at 11:46 PM, Jim Monson said:

Must I have two separate docs or can I clone from one layer to another in the same native AffPhoto doc?

Either way will do. You can either clone to a different document, or close to a different layer.