You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer 1.7 - resource manager?

Hi,

what is going on with "resource manager" in AD 1.7?

I made a document containing few artboards, placed there few images (drag and drop from finder), everything worked fine until I deleted these images from my mac. Now I have this message: https://take.ms/5Kvwj1

On other documents I don't have this problem. When I delete something from my mac, it is still in the document.

Do you also have Publisher on your system? 

It's quite easy to "force" AD to link all images, via Publisher.  (rather than embed them)

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

yes I have Publisher as well. The problem is I don't want to open Publisher every single time I need to use AD;)

Shouldn't AD automatically embed all added images? This new version is so full of bugs and errors that is hard to count them all... 

Yes, AD should embed all images by default

But if you edit the document in Publisher you can change the default setting to Link the images instead, then when you next add images to your AD document those new images will be Linked

Likewise, if you start a document in Publisher where the default setting is set to link all images if you open that document in AD and save it as an AD document then all new images will also be Linked in that AD document 

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

That's why I asked if you have Publisher

You can link placed images just using AD but it takes a conscious effort to do so but I have never seen AD natively link images by default on its own

I don't use a MAC so cant really comment further on how you might be able to do that on a MAC 

When I have more time I might try to see if I can get AD, on my Windows system, to default to linking images without using Publisher

• Staff

Hi Ziemo,

Have you ever replaced that image thats showing as missing?  Just the only way i know how to link an image on Mac, is via the Replace Image option, on this the dialog that pops up you have an Options button, clicking that you can set the image to be embedded or linked.  

Just tried to replicate this and the images i dragged from Finder into Designer all got embedded and not linked.

Would you be able to attach the afdesign file for this and the image thats missing?  If you'd rather not make them public, please upload them here :) 

right now I've embedded everything manually in this file... I will upload a file when I spot this issue with another document. It's actually 3rd time I approach this problem with new AD 1.7 files.

Are you guys going to release any update of this unfortunate 1.7 version?

18 hours ago, ziemo said:

Are you guys going to release any update of this unfortunate 1.7 version?

There have been several Mac customer betas of Affinity Designer version 1.7.2. The current one is Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.7.2.2 - RC1).

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7