You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cannot repeat a swatch name even though they're in different palettes

I just came across a most perplexing limitation:

1. I've created two document palettes, let's call them A and B
  2. On palette A I've created a swatch named ColourPink
  3. Then I went to palette B and also tried to create a swatch called ColourPink
  4. Affinity Designer tells me the swatch name is already in use so I can't use it again...

Well... I guess that's technically true, but what's the point of having two separate palettes if they're not completely independent?

My request is to make palettes completely independent so we can have multiple swatches with the names.

Thanks!

Palette A "this colour" is pink

Palette B "this colour" is green

You don't see a problem with this?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

19 hours ago, LCamachoDesign said:

what's the point of having two separate palettes if they're not completely independent?

Why have two different folders if they are going to store their files on the same physical drive?

Organization.

19 hours ago, LCamachoDesign said:

My request is to make palettes completely independent so we can have multiple swatches with the names.

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

I would say that valid arguments could be made in either direction and personally I don't care if all document palettes within a document share a common namespace or each has its own, but if they are going to be shared thenI do think that limitation should be documented as it violates the principle of least surprise.

18 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

No? They're in separate palettes.

16 hours ago, fde101 said:

Why have two different folders if they are going to store their files on the same physical drive?

One of they things you can do with two folders is precisely having two files with the same name. C:\FolderA\File.txt and C:\FolderB\File.txt

1 hour ago, LCamachoDesign said:

One of they things you can do with two folders is precisely having two files with the same name.

Yes, but they are both being stored on the same disk anyway...

(Also, in the original Macintosh File System - which predates HFS - you actually could not; file names had to be unique across the entire disk; granted that was kind of an odd one out, and thankfully they did fix that when they introduced HFS...).