You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Saving files to OneDrive only works sporadically

I'm going to start by saying that I don't fully know if this is a Designer error, an error on OneDrive, or it's just that Files app work on a weird way. Looking forward to some clarification on this, and now onto the problem:

1. Open an Affinity Designer file stored in OneDrive by using the Open from Cloud command, notice the document's Modified date/time
  2. Do some changes, doesn't really matter what they are, just enough to warrant a file save
  3. Save the file by using the Document > Save command, or by going into the home hub and choosing Save on the document's hamburger menu
  4. Go iOS's Files app, notice the file Modified date/time
  5. Sometimes the file will be updated and show a new Modified time/date, other times it won't update at all and will show the old time, like the file was never changed/saved
  6. If I open the OneDrive itself, or check the OneDrive folder on my desktop, I can confirm no file saves happened, so it's not just a visual glitch
  7. Closing the file within Designer and then closing the app itself sometimes triggers a file update, other times not so much...

I don't really have anything else more specific to say about this issue. I can't reproduce it consistently, but it does happen very frequently. I also can't trigger the upload consistently, but closing the file & Designer works a significant amount of times.

I'm using the latest stable versions of iOS 12, OneDrive and Designer, so no beta software here. Any ideas at all about what's going on?

• Staff

Hi LCamachoDesign,

Thanks for letting us know - there is unfortunately a known issue that 'Save' is failing to work consistently. I shall get it bumped with development. Unfortunately I'm not aware of what is actually causing it to fail the save however, does saving twice in succession help avoid the fails at all?

7 minutes ago, Sean P said:

does saving twice in succession help avoid the fails at all?

No, not really. What really works if you want to do an urgent save to work on the desktop is just save a copy (so a new file). That always works.

Then you can delete the original file, work on the copy on the desktop, and rename it back to the original file name. o.O

• 4 weeks later...

I've been suffering from this too - very annoying since I have been moving between ipad and desktop.  This is an old problem and I had hoped it had gone away with 1.7

On a fun little learning curve with Affinity. Or a vector curve. One of the two. Just a writer learning to draw.