You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Loading Failed, Unable to Load Document

So I had this logo and business card redesign that I was working on and I was pretty much done except for some minor touch ups, and I go to my iPad today to find that I can’t open the file anymore. All it says now it “loading failed, Unable to load document”. Now this was a big file as it was an extensive redesign with many options and a lot of work has gone into this file. And now I can’t open it. Is there like a way to fix this? It’s not in my files app so there is no way of me getting the file through there, if I press save the app freezes and then crashed, and duplicate does nothing. Like I said already a lot of work when into this file, so would it be possible for me to open it again?

Interested in the answer to this as I have same problem with a file I was using to test brush responses with many layers, which I had not saved as an .afphoto file.

To OP, any important work be sure to use Document / Save a Copy, then regular Document / Save. This saves a version outside of affinity sandbox.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• Staff

Similar issues did occur during the 1.6 version, but I haven't seen for awhile.  One possible solution was to fully quit/close the app and then reopen, it usually resolves the link to the file. Out of interest after you had finished working on the file, did you return to the document screen and try to create a new document before the last one finished saving? 

@Lee D Closing and reopening the app was one of the first things I did but that didn't work. And about starting a new document, although I’m not full sure I wouldn’t put it out of the picture, because I do know I do this a lot. But this is the first time this has happened. And if it helps in anything, the last thing I did in that document was import an EPS file into it.

In my case I switched to another app while AP was still showing the spinning icon. Rebooting app or making copy did not help. Saving resulted in crashing. This was latest beta so crash reports should have been sent via TestFlight.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• 3 months later...
On 8/6/2019 at 6:01 PM, JrDesigner said:

@Lee D Closing and reopening the app was one of the first things I did but that didn't work. And about starting a new document, although I’m not full sure I wouldn’t put it out of the picture, because I do know I do this a lot. But this is the first time this has happened. And if it helps in anything, the last thing I did in that document was import an EPS file into it.

Im in same situation but on Affinity Designer (iPad version). Followed all steps above including trying to duplicate/ saving (which causing crush right after taping save). I have imported an SVG to this file before all this happened. Does anyone have any idea how do I recover this file? Please help!  

• 6 months later...

Same issue in Affinity Photo on iPad when I neglected to Save.  Where are the edited data files located on an iPad PRIOR to saving as a .afphoto file?  I have on my iPad dozens of photos that I have used for experimentation, that I have not saved as a .afphoto file; yet these photos remain accessible and editable for weeks/months: so where are these edit data files located?  If I can get to them, perhaps I can get closer to solving this.  

5 hours ago, David A Jones said:

yet these photos remain accessible and editable for weeks/months: so where are these edit data files located?  

The files are located in affinities iOS 'sandbox' area. This is not accessible via other apps. There are some desktop 'recovery' programs that can access these locked memory areas. iMazing is one such program and is available for Mac and Windows. 

• 8 months later...

Since yesterday on Affinity Designer on iPad Pro. Also here the file couldn’t be opened.

While working on the file i get a call. I did not closed Affintiy before shutting down the iPad. When i wanted to re-open the file i couldn’t be opened.

Affnity version: 1.8.6.1

What can i do to re-open the file?

46 minutes ago, ReLEXed said:

Since yesterday on Affinity Designer on iPad Pro. Also here the file couldn’t be opened.

While working on the file i get a call. I did not closed Affintiy before shutting down the iPad. When i wanted to re-open the file i couldn’t be opened.

Affnity version: 1.8.6.1

What can i do to re-open the file?

If you have an icloud backup you could try and restore it to a time when it wasn't damaged. But other than that I could find anyway to fix it and had to redo it all over again. But now I make sure to save my files every time I go to make a change

• 2 years later...

I had the same last 2 days. Twice now. I just got it back again.  

How i solved it:

1.  tap the hamburger menu on the file you want to open

2.tap share

3. save to files

4. Locate the saved file in your files

5. tap the new file you saved or the old one (if the new one does not work) and open it.

6.If this does not work you can try to  tap the open thing in affinity designer menu where you can open any file you want instead of tapping directly on the file you want. 

Hope this helps guys. Good luck.