You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

60 pages text automatically in connected frames?

15 minutes ago, mundini said:

in Serif I was used to ...

I presume you mean Serif PagePlus. :)

Affinity Publisher also has an autoflow feature. While holding down the Shift key, click on the ‘Flow’ button at the bottom-right edge of the overflowing text frame: this will cause new text frames to be created on as many new pages as necessary to accommodate the text.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

If you want to be able to modify your Text frames later, it's better to add them to Master pages (and link the 2 together if you use double pages), before importing/placing your text on the frame of the first page and doing this trick.

This way, you can resize your frames (or do something else) on the Master pages, and it'll be applied at all your pages in the document.

oooohhh - perfect - thanks guys - it worked out fine with holding down the shift-key.

While working on that book I have two more little questions:

• how to I make the textflow around my inserted pictures to a standard setting? In Serif PagePlus I could said "make standard" or so
  • is there a key shortcut on my keyboard to "select" the "selection arrow"? I mean, after working with whatever function I need to SELECT the frame, picture or whatever and to do so, I need to mouseover to the selection arrow. Do you know what I mean? Like the shortkey shift+s for saving ...

Thanks a lot - maybe I get this book finally done, after crashing my serif pageplus a 1000 times with this book ...

Nicole

select.png

48 minutes ago, mundini said:

While working on that book I have two more little questions:

• how to I make the textflow around my inserted pictures to a standard setting? In Serif PagePlus I could said "make standard" or so
  • is there a key shortcut on my keyboard to "select" the "selection arrow"? I mean, after working with whatever function I need to SELECT the frame, picture or whatever and to do so, I need to mouseover to the selection arrow. Do you know what I mean? Like the shortkey shift+s for saving ...
  • I’m not sure what you mean by “to a standard setting”.
  • The default shortcut for the Move Tool “selection arrow” is V but you can customize the keyboard shortcuts via Preferences.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

58 minutes ago, Alfred said:
  • I’m not sure what you mean by “to a standard setting”.
  • The default shortcut for the Move Tool “selection arrow” is V but you can customize the keyboard shortcuts via Preferences.

setting this (screenshot) to have it a standard

by using the "V" I'll try :) Thanks 

textfluss.png

@mundini  As far as I have been able to determine, there is no “standard setting” (or default setting) for text wrap.  Each text wrap begins with the None option.

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

3 minutes ago, jmwellborn said:

@mundini  As far as I have been able to determine, there is no “standard setting” (or default setting) for text wrap.  Each text wrap begins with the None option.

Yes; None is the standard setting :)

If one wants text wrap, one must select it.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 8/5/2019 at 12:31 PM, mundini said:

I have just stumbled upon the following, while sprucing up my personal Publisher Help file.  You could find this under Publisher HELP>Text Wrapping.   I haven't tried it to see if it will work, but you might.  At least when you start with "None" and click on wrap style, perhaps your distance settings might automatically turn up.  Hope so!

If it works, you set up the first wrap setting, then click on the little blue icon up on your Toolbar  (see below)

and then go to EDIT>Defaults>Save.    

1572380546_ScreenShot2019-08-10at4_30_43PM.thumb.png.34b3c28d7ec3740f419e1c08887b54cd.png

1164549000_ScreenShot2019-08-10at4_37_59PM.png.e7fa609ca40a9bc901099846cada9fc0.png

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.

16 hours ago, jmwellborn said:

I have just stumbled upon the following, while sprucing up my personal Publisher Help file.  You could find this under Publisher HELP>Text Wrapping.   I haven't tried it to see if it will work, but you might.  At least when you start with "None" and click on wrap style, perhaps your distance settings might automatically turn up.  Hope so!

If it works, you set up the first wrap setting, then click on the little blue icon up on your Toolbar  (see below)

and then go to EDIT>Defaults>Save.    

1572380546_ScreenShot2019-08-10at4_30_43PM.thumb.png.34b3c28d7ec3740f419e1c08887b54cd.png

1164549000_ScreenShot2019-08-10at4_37_59PM.png.e7fa609ca40a9bc901099846cada9fc0.png

I tried this but the custom Text Wrap settings are not included when using Synchronize. 

1 hour ago, Hilltop said:

I tried this but the custom Text Wrap settings are not included when using Synchronize. 

Sync defaults for Text Wrap settings is working for me sometimes if I select a vector shape I want the text to wrap around, but it seems this has to be set individually for each type of vector shape (ellipse, rectangle, cog, etc.). So far I cannot get it to work at all with vectors drawn with the Pen Tool.

I have the feeling I am missing something about how this should work but I don't know if it is me or that syncing text wrap settings is just buggy. :S

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

6 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I'd say the latter. :(

So would I.  Just cranked up my iMAC and tried the Synchronize thing by placing an image.  Set the Synchronize. Placed a second image.  Clicked on Text Wrap and selected Wrap Style Tight. Bunch of zeros.   Didn't work with a placed image, and since that was what @mundini was asking about, I appear to have flunked the course.  So I need to post this in the bugs part of the Forums, right @R C-R?   Sorry for the false hope!

For basic images, you can select an image and copy the Text Wrap setting off that image and Edit > Paste Style those settings onto another image.

It's a bit weird as nothing actually happens when you do that but if you then move that new image in the layers panel to another position and back again the Text Wrap settings are then applied.

You can select multiple images to do the Edit > Paste Style on but you still have to move each layer back and forth in the Layers panel

Still, the above is probably quicker than having to input all the details and do each image one at a time 

PS You can also Rasterise the image rather than "moving" it in the Layers panel to make the Text Wrap settings active, which is fine for Pixel layers but may be problematic for Image layers if you wanted to resize them bigger later on.

(Tested on Windows not sure what happens on a MAC)

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.