You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I would like to suggest a feature to lock individual guides via the Guide Manager.

This is a feature in Indesign that we utilize in our group layout process that we would like to see carried forward into Publisher.

In a our workgroup of 20 graphic artist, copies writers, and layout team, it important to use to have guides that can not be moved. These guides to hold boundaries that are outside the constraints of our press margins. This ability would be most helpful.

I'd rather like to be able to place guides in a certain layer – (which then can be locked as usual).

That way you could not only lock guides but also have set those to invisible whose related objects/layers are set to invisible.

Therefore it also would be useful if guides on master pages would be transferred to document pages, too. On the masters layer of course;)

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

That would work as well. The option to lock all or nothing is a bit limiting to what one may what to utilize the guides in their workflow. Especially then guides are used to set up pages templates or page layout markers.

One example on how we use our guides in our catalog, our copy boxes are offset .25 from the page margin on the gutter side to page. Images are either pull to the gutter or set to the margin depending on the layout. This offset distance for copy blocks kept by a guide at that set distance. We lock that guide in place so our layout department does not overstep that distance. Locking those guides assures no one bumps the copy outside that range when piecing the page together.

2 hours ago, thomaso said:

Therefore it also would be useful if guides on master pages would be transferred to document pages, too. On the masters layer of course;)

Guides on Master Pages are transferred to document pages. But not on the Master Layer, of course, as Guides are not on a layer at this point.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

6 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Guides on Master Pages are transferred to document pages.

Thanks for this note. – I just tried again and realized it doesn't work for me with a specific master only; other master pages do show their guides as dotted lines on document pages.

I had tried yesterday on one master page which obviously is corrupted: I not only don't see its guides on document pages (though master's margins do appear) but also I see a master page object only on some document pages, whereas I don't see it on others, although I do see the master layer + its object layer for all of the document pages.
Also to re-assign + clearing the master is possible but does not change, whereas just "Clear Masters" is impossible (grayed out) for all pages which have this master assigned.

Glad to have helped, @thomaso. Sounds like you should post in the appropriate Bugs forum and make that .afpub file available to Serif for diagnosis.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Not a real bug I guess, I can't reproduce it with any other master page, neither in this nor in a new document. Therefore I assume rather corrupted data in my specific .afpub than an application bug.

14 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Not a real bug I guess, I can't reproduce it with any other master page, neither in this nor in a new document. Therefore I assume rather corrupted data in my specific .afpub than an application bug.

Speaking as a software developer, any corruption indicates a bug. It may or may not be possible for Serif to determine the cause of the corruption, but there's still a bug, and in my opinion it should be reported.

-- Walt
PC:

I will report if it occurs with a new document. The affected .afpub was initially started with a beta version, that makes me assuming a corruption instead a bug. I had uploaded this .afpub already a few weeks ago with another concern. A moderators feedback said, he realizes a weirdness when activating history. That fits to my yesterday discovered issue with one master page.

On 8/6/2019 at 3:20 AM, Lagarto said:

You can have some qualitative control of guides if you place the ones that need to be always locked on a master page

Thank you for this tip. Applying those guides to a master and locking that layers is a workable solution. This is something that we can definitely work with until lockable guides are implemented. We have set up different masters fitting different page templates.

While I still think having the ability of locking a guide via guide manager is the best solution, locking the master layer is the only workable solution so far.

On 8/5/2019 at 1:55 PM, jbartley said:

I would like to suggest a feature to lock individual guides via the Guide Manager.

I agree!  This would make sense and be of use to a lot of users.

MacOS 10.14.5  –  MBP   –  16Gb DDR  –  500Gb Crucial SSD

Affinity Publisher (beta)   Affinity Designer   Affinity Photo