You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo 1.7.1.404 Slow on Native format

I've been playing around watching YouTube videos trying to get a better feel for Photo. So far I'm glad I made the purchase and won't look back to the old alternatives.

However, today I noticed something odd when working on a photo. This was saved in the native .afphoto format and had several adjustment layers to it. Working in the native  format was super slow on applying the inPainting brush or just about anything. Exporting the file to PNG and working on the image as a single PNG image was quick and fluid again.

Task Manager shows 97.7% CPU usage when working in the native format with the adjustment layers and using the inPainting brush.

Same photo being worked on as a PNG shows 31.7% CPU usage.

Not really sure this is a bug but it is an issue. If we are to work in the native format, it should be as smooth as any other program using it's own native format. Am I missing some setting here or is super slow response and high CPU usage in the .afphoto format actually a normal thing ?

Windows 10 Pro x64

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz

Installed Memory (RAM)  64.0GB

nVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Not exactly new hardware but not junk either.

Example-01.jpg

Example-02.jpg

In the first example you have several live filters stacked up, so every brush stroke you perform must apply those live filters before rendering. In the second example you've rasterised everything, so you have no more live filters, so it's a lot less computationally expensive. 

15 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

In the first example you have several live filters stacked up, so every brush stroke you perform must apply those live filters before rendering. In the second example you've rasterised everything, so you have no more live filters, so it's a lot less computationally expensive. 

Interesting. Thank you.

I turned the visibility of those layers off and it made a huge difference. However, even just zooming in and out with those layers visible spikes CPU usage. I haven't tried programming in years and have no clue how things work under the hood but the Renderer is set to my nVidia GFX 1080 and it's getting less than 10% usage during these CPU spikes. If I set the Renderer to WARP, then the GPU takes some of the load but it's still pretty choppy and slow to work in.