You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

v442 - "Place" does strange things before placing (by design???)

Have not had this happen before. Had a mutli-layer small advert and was going to place a couple art elements on top. However, when I selected the items individually to place (psd files), before clicking and dragging to place it, the main pic layer below it disappeared completely and a large, stretched version of the file to be placed appeared instead (see pics). Once I placed the 2 psd items, the display went back to normal, but this would, of course, preclude precise positioning when placing if a person were relying on the main picture layer. Very strange and can't say I've had this happen before in any of the versions.

Can upload various files but would need a link.

Display Error - Place - during place.jpeg

Display Error - Place -after.jpeg

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Sonoma
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Sonoma
iPad Air 2022

Aha! Now I see what's happening! When the "place" cursor is hovering over an existing picture frame, it seems to automatically preview the placed item in that frame! That may be "by design", but it does make it hard to place new items on top of existing frames. Perhaps I am doing something the wrong way??? 

Update: I tried adding two new picture frames on top of the main picture frame to contain the two new psd files and seems to work better. Slower way to add minor graphics, but at least doesn't cause the issue reported in first post.

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Sonoma
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Sonoma
iPad Air 2022

Yes, this can be an annoyance indeed. I would suggest that pressing a modifier key, such as Control (which isn’t used in the image frame resize context), should interrupt the preview.

As a temporary workaround, I would untick View > View Mode > Clip to Canvas and place the image somewhere outside the canvas before moving it to the final position. Seems easier than creating two image frames, if you don’t need them afterwards.

On my mac I get a different appearance when placing images:

– "Place-ready" cursor
– If I had selected more than 1 file to place then a panel with thumbnails of selected images appears. The thumbnail of the file going placed is highlighted.
– Optionally I can press CTRL to get a preview around the cursor position. its size is related to document resolution.

1381352113_placeimages1-CTRLkeypreview.jpg.d4073be79a6f2399cccd28240e9f8ad1.jpg

I can't screenshot the preview cursor version because of hold CTRL key.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.