You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Feature Request for Pattern Design

Hello,

Totally in love with all your software, have bought all of them for both Mac and iPad.

Have been working in Adobe software until I made the switch.

Right now I found myself needing to do some patterns, and I found out that pattern swatches are not a feature!!!?

If this is true, that is a huge drawback. Especially when you are in the first stages of just "messing around" and see what works as a pattern. To just drag it to a swatch and then drag that swatch to a rectangle and try it out is so fast! It literally takes 2 seconds to see which direction to take with your pattern.

The way it works now that you need yo manually copy it or use symbols? Not great, and messes up the "flow".

Also, vector tracing would be nice.

Thank you for a otherwise great software! 

Currently, only bitmap fills are supported, not vector ones.  Support for vector patterns has been requested in a number of other threads.

You can set a bitmap fill on an object using the Fill tool, by setting the "Type" to "Bitmap" then navigating to an image file you want to use as the fill.

Use the various controls that are presented to adjust to taste.

Once you are happy with the fill, go to the Swatches panel, navigate to (or create) the palette you wish to have the swatch on, and click the "Add Current Fill to Palette" button.  You can then use the generated swatches to apply the fill to other objects as needed.

(Note: Document palettes are saved with the document and are only visible in that document, but will follow the document if it is opened on a different computer; Application palettes are saved to the computer and are available in all documents opened on that computer, but do not follow the document to other computers).

Note that these fills can also be applied to the stroke of an object, they are not limited to the fill.