You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Custom Swatches in Publisher (Mac)

You can try the feature "Create Palette from Image" in Swatches Panel > hamburger menu.
Be aware with your JPG with 8 colors also White becomes a swatch. Increasing the amount of colors may be more exactly for specific swatches but also generates unwanted.
Choose "Document" as location for your trials, that way it's easier to delete the complete palette instead of swatch by swatch.
The feature still appears to be in a kind of experimental state, possibly you may want to post a bug report.

1500991014_palettefromimage1.jpg.c35a095e8ac06752aba102c29e2b9401.jpg

2036758734_palettefromimage2.thumb.jpg.3296a69f387591a3fef65ec4fd5a5565.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

For just 8 colors, it seems simple enough to create a new, empty application palette & add the colors one at a time to it using the hex values.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

@ Palatino, did you indeed create your palette as RGB swatches – or is it just the color space this palette becomes imported into my cmyk document?
 Your RBG result different to robert josephs cmyk values when shown in cmyk color selector model.

Using "Create palette from image" at least creates LAB swatches in my experience.
Whereas I wonder why it does not just in the documents color space?

7 hours ago, thomaso said:

Your RBG result different to robert josephs cmyk values when shown in cmyk color selector model.

I noticed that, too. The cmyk values should also depend on the color profile. The colours used: 

#1B3E53
#2B679B
#4CAFE1
#AEDCF6
#0B502E
#467C41
#76B342
#C2D73E

Thanks to DeepL.

4 hours ago, Palatino said:

The colours used: 
#1B3E53 (...)

So you worked in HEX color selector when creating your swatches?
In what document color space?

I assume if you import your palette you will get it as RGB, too?

When reading your .afpalette file with a text editor it seems to contain RGB definitions only, neither hex nor lab nor cmyk info:
1824501598_afpaletteastxt.thumb.jpg.9a8a750315bddb48dbc4cba182f2d202.jpg

12 hours ago, R C-R said:

simple enough to create a new, (...) using the hex values. 

The problem when creating a swatch in a 3 color model, then a use of it in a 4 color model can easily result in unexpected color shift, because in 4c there are always at least 2 ways to convert a 3c swatch: it depends on the role/intensity for the K channel towards CMY, which can use more CMY + a little K only to create dark colors or, alternatively, can use more K but less CMY. (compare "UCR" and "GCR"). – So, if you want to create an .afpalette according to given specifications you always should create them in CMYK if the list mentions these values.

That, of course, also means that robert josephs initial JPG for my trials "Create palette from image" can't perfectly work for CMYK swatches because of the images RGB color space (– regardless what the Affinity app is doing right or wrong as mentioned in my first post.)

1 hour ago, thomaso said:

So you worked in HEX color selector when creating your swatches?
In what document color space?

It was immediately obvious that the CMYK values did not match the HEX values. I don't know anything about the printing conditions, so I took the HEX numbers that are clear to use: screen and sRGB.

It's also clear: the HEX values are the reference for the screen - not the compressed and therefore color-corrupted JPG.

Thanks to DeepL.

11 minutes ago, Palatino said:

so I took the HEX numbers that are clear to use: screen and sRGB.

Yes, the resulting "original" model in Color panel is what confuses me and let me assume a bug, too.
(different to the bug mentioned above and related to the auto-created palette).

If I click one of your palette swatches then in the Color panel (with lock not active) the slider model is RGB – not HEX, as the swatch color model has been used for creating the swatch.
(According to the Help text, this panel would show a swatch in its initial color model when the lock is unlocked.)

1544379973_hexswatchasrgboriginalonly.jpg.5c60bc97c281a0f3ba9d22ef1d737164.jpg

3 hours ago, thomaso said:

When reading your .afpalette file with a text editor it seems to contain RGB definitions only, neither hex nor lab nor cmyk info:

You text editor does not seem to be showing all the characters in the file. Using BBEdit with 'show invisibles' enabled, I get this:

574542876_palettetext.jpg.cd40e24fc80211e6e50822e7dd155855.jpg

Just guessing, but from that I think those RGB strings are just the names of the swatches & the actual color definitions are stored elsewhere in the file, probably as binary encoded data.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

20 minutes ago, R C-R said:

just the names of the swatches & the actual color definitions are stored elsewhere in the file, probably as binary encoded data. 

Ah, good hint I haven't been aware of.

However, if the swatches were generated in HEX then I would expect from Affinity to show in Color panel HEX as initial color model (... and ideally named as hex, too).

1 hour ago, thomaso said:

However, if the swatches were generated in HEX then I would expect from Affinity to show in Color panel HEX as initial color model (... and ideally named as hex, too).

How the Affinity apps choose the default swatch names is a bit of a mystery to me -- I know in past versions there was something mentioned about either the document Color Format or the Color Panel mode determining that, but I can't remember any of the details, & all I can get for default names is either colon separated RGB or HSL values. There were aome feature requests for something different, but I can't remember anything about that either. :S

Regardless, they are just default names & can be changed to anything a user wants (except for System palettes on Macs), so they don't necessarily have anything to do with the actual color values.

Affinity Photo 

Hello OP Rob here.

Well you have left me behind on the tech. stuff but it might be worth me pointing out thay my image of the original colours was a screen clip taken from a recording of a Zoom video conference call. I paused the video and clipped the document from the screen. That may explain the difference between my image and the colours generated by using the numbers.

I did try the Create Pallet from Imge option before I posted and it did create a pallet with one incorrect (by a mile) colour so I assumed I had done something wrong, hence my post.

The Affinity help is a bit vague. I think it's written for people who don't need help.

Thanks for all your posts.

Rob