MartinKoss

What's the difference between Designer and Publisher?

My apologies if this has been discussed but I have been looking within this forum, on Google and YouTube.

What is the difference between Affinity Designer and Affinity Publisher?

Perhaps there's a list somewhere?

Thanks.

Martin

I recommend that you visit https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/store/ where you will find all the products advertised and explained.

You'll find "Learn More" buttons for both Designer and Publisher that will give you a good idea of the capabilities that each provides.

But primarily (though very roughly) I would say that Designer is about making art while Publisher is about making books. 

25 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I recommend that you visit https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/store/ where you will find all the products advertised and explained.

Thank you Walt. That's where I started but hoped there'd be a comparison somewhere.

I have Publisher and used it to design a flyer - it was fairly straightforward.

One think I hope to do soon, for example, is to add text to a circlular logo (text to a path is what it would be called in PhotoShop) adn wondered if that could be done in Designer or Publisher.

Text to Path can be done in Affinity Designer and Publisher.

Draw a circle and then select the Artistic Text tool, mouseover the circle edge and the cursor will change to T with a curvy line text_convert_path_cursor.png.1d006c1f23b17348867088be6e25f43a.png Click and the circle will be converted to a text path, now type away. 

8 minutes ago, MartinKoss said:

One think I hope to do soon, for example, is to add text to a circlular logo (text to a path is what it would be called in PhotoShop) adn wondered if that could be done in Designer or Publisher.

Both Designer and Publisher can do this. The feature is not natively available in Affinity Photo.

https://affinity.help/publisher/English.lproj/pages/Text/pathText.html

Main difference might be that Publisher is needed when you do a lot of pages and text, Designer when you need to do vector art. And some of that overlaps.

6 hours ago, MartinKoss said:

What is the difference between Affinity Designer and Affinity Publisher?

Thanks.

Martin

My twopenneth's worth Martin: Designer is for designing things, it's for artists and those that design, hence its name; whereas Publisher is for placing what you have designed mixed in with text and pictures etc, it's for making booklets, books and magazines.  

1 minute ago, Chris26 said:

My twopenneth's worth Martin: Designer is for designing things, it's for artists and those that design, hence its name; whereas Publisher is for placing what you have designed mixed in with text and pictures etc, it's for making booklets, books and magazines.  

Thank you for that answer Chris. So if I was creating a logo that can be any size needed, I'd use Designer but if I was creating a flyer, I'd use Publisher?

1 hour ago, MartinKoss said:

Thank you for that answer Chris. So if I was creating a logo that can be any size needed, I'd use Designer but if I was creating a flyer, I'd use Publisher?

Yes..... but with a however included:  If you are designing a single page flyer I am sure designer would be all you needed.

48 minutes ago, Chris26 said:

Yes..... but with a however included:  If you are designing a single page flyer I am sure designer would be all you needed.

Ah. I did start to think that after I had already created one, in Publisher. ;)

What about designing a big order form with loads of boxes, grids and stuff on it? It's a big form that will be printed on an A3 sheet for sales rep to fill in with customer. It's the sort of thing that I would have used inDesign for in the past until I cancelled my complete Adobe CC subscription.

20 hours ago, MartinKoss said:

What about designing a big order form with loads of boxes, grids and stuff on it

It depends upon what the "Stuff" is.  But it seems to me that you could do this in either publisher or designer.  Publisher is not a designing package.  Boxes and grids coloured and shaped can be done in publisher.  But personally, it sounds to me that you would be better off having both programs for nothing more than sheer felxibility.  Why don't you do the designing in designer and then try and repeat that in publisher if you only want to use one program.  You can still employ text in designer.