You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi team!

Why some exports to PDF resulted on a "big white square" on Windows PC? On Mac OS and iOS I can open the file normally but not on Windows PC -> Except if I open the PDF with Chrome on Windows PC!

Hi ShagStudio, 

I have the same problem opening it in Adobe Acrobat Pro on my Mac, it opens fine in Preview, though. 

I tried opening it in Adobe Illustrator and discovered that the page height is too large for Adobe, other than that I'm not sure what causes the white out! 

I re-saved the file as a PDF from Illustrator, which views OK in Acrobat except that the page height is too small to accommodate all the design. 

My PDF is attached.  

Paul. 

This causes me a lot of problems with my clients ... Unfortunately I'll have to give up AFFINITY DESIGNER :(

Hi ShagStudio, 

Could you upload the Affinity Designer file, please? 

I'd like to see if I can replicate the problem also. 

I do not have AD at work (the system is too old), I will be able to pick this up at home in AD, in approximately 6 hours, it's 14.05 local time here in NZ. 

Paul. 

Hi ShagStudio,

I was able to import your PDF to Affinity Designer.

I believe that the problem was caused by the document set up used in your original Affinity Designer file (dimensions).

I've attached screen shots of the original document set up, plus my set up, along with the modified Affinity Designer file & a PDF exported from my AD file.

I hope this helps to resolve this issue for you.

Kind regards,

Paul.

Thanks, Paul. You've made several changes there, including colour model, document units, and DPI. Do you know which of those changes was most crucial?

Hi Dave, 

I'm not 100% certain, because I did not have access to the original Affinity Designer file. 

I assumed that the PDF, when imported to AD, showed the original document set up. 

The set up was for 'Device', but the type of device was not assigned - only the dimensions in pixels. 

I thought it would be best to use a standard set up for 'Print - Press Ready', that is why I chose a CMYK colour space  an ISO paper size. 

It might have been enough to choose which device for the document set up, but it was easier for me to stick with something I'm familiar with - I'm a graphic designer with a pre-press background that goes back to the days of film, plates, Golden Rod, Mylar® & Rubylith. 

I think it's also fair to say that whoever at his client's side was handling the PDF could have opened it in Adobe Illustrator & 'cleaned up' the file, then used it as an Illustrator file - all the vector data was still there! 

Thanks, 

Paul. 

Hi,

I try to send the original file but I don't know how :) (I try with my media and drag and drop...)

file:///Users/JonathanShargary/Desktop/Côtés%20de%20scène.afdesign

Hi ShagStudio,

At the bottom right of your reply, click on 'More Reply Options', this will give you the ability to attach files:

Regards,

Paul.

Hi ShagStudio,

I'm not sure what print process you are designing for, so I have made several changes to the set up.

1. I Changed RVB (RGB) to CMJN (CMYK), for CMJN I assumed that the profile is for U.S. Sheetfed Coated in your region.

2. I Changed the resolution to 300 dpi & halved the document size (if the printer needs to print at your original size, he will have to enlarge it to 200%, this will not be a problem as it is all vector). This size change means it opens in Adobe Reader without problems.

3. I am using metric measurments, because that is what I'm used to – You are welcome to revert it to inches, if you wish. :)

I've attached my PDF & the altered AD file with a screen shot of the set up, which also has the same CMJN values applied to all the black objects (I noticed a mis-match in the owl logo etc.).

I hope this helps.