You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hey guys,

I wanted to create a panorama with affinity because my raw converter (on1) lacks in terms of performance for big panoramas. Overall affinity does a really great and quickly job, but the panorama seems to be very unsharp against my version from on1. So I thought that in on1 maybe some automatic sharpening has happen before I even touch the raw. So I opened just one raw (out of the eight from the panorama) in affinity and I opened the same in the default preview app from MacOS. Again, Affinity is not as sharp as the unedited preview app. But this particular image detail was still clearly sharper in a single photo than in the rendered panorama.

I know that I have several options for sharpening in Affinity, but how is it possible, that the raw file is so blurry? Do you think the default preview app in MacOS do also a automatic sharpening (and maybe other stuff) when I open a raw file?

Enclosed I attach a screenshot from the single raw. On the left you can see the preview of MacOS and on the right the photo in Affinity. Since the sky on the left side is grainy, OSX actually seems to sharpen the preview of the raw file automatically, right?

Thank you in advance.

Greetings

2019-08-04.jpg

Maybe upload the image you have shown to see if anyone else gets the same result?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

ON1 does seem to bring the RAW file in quite a bit sharper.  In Affinity Photo you can match the sharpness very closely by bringing some detail refinement from the Develop Personas Details tab, I got almost comparable sharpness using Radius: 36% Amount 26% although there was still a slight fuzziness to Affinity Photo RAW image. 

In ON1 Under Preferences: System there is a Preview setting the has Faster --------> Sharper I tried moving that but it made no discernible difference.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Thanks for your reply @firstdefence!

I have already found out that I can achieve a very similar results (like the on1 version) with the detail enhancement in the Develop Persona.

What astonishes me most is that even the preview app of MacOS  is sharper than the unedited version in affinity.

The question for me is: Does the preview app in MacOS sharpen the photo or does affinity open the raw files just not sharp enough?

It would be interesting to know if the same behavior occurs with other raw files (not from a sony alpha) as well ?!

Just had a bit of time to make a comparison from my Nikon D5600 and to my eyes ON1 brings the RAW in sharper.

Left is ON1 and Right is Affinity Photo
1818266959_ScreenShot2019-08-05at20_43_36.png.dd035f081d8ca0ce64d40df085041711.png

This one is from Rawtherapee and is very similar to Affinity Photo. 
1453337797_ScreenShot2019-08-05at20_50_07.png.c92f3f08f09e5845f2542beebcfe1b53.png

I think ON1 is definitely applying some pre sharpening.

3 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

to my eyes ON1 brings the RAW in sharper

Much sharper. And there’s a tonal difference, too.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

On 8/5/2019 at 8:39 AM, chillkroete said:

What astonishes me most is that even the preview app of MacOS  is sharper than the unedited version in affinity.

The question for me is: Does the preview app in MacOS sharpen the photo or does affinity open the raw files just not sharp enough?

Apple's Preview.app uses the Apple RAW 'engine' built into the Mac OS to develop RAW files into a viewable form. This is the same engine that in Affinity Photo for Macs can be used as an alternative to the "Serif Labs" RAW engine by changing the engine in the Develop Assistant to "Apple (Core Image RAW)."

1027529069_DevAsst.png.5d183798327377a2f0c7add5a9b8435c.png

(BTW, the Apple engine is also the same one used by the Mac "Quick Look" feature to display RAW files & is the developer built into Apple's Photos.app.)

Anyway, as you may have noticed when using Preview.app with a RAW file, the Apple engine provides no user facing development options at all. Perhaps for this reason it has been reasonably well established that the Apple engine automatically applies lens corrections (for supported RAW formats), sharpening, noise reduction, & so on, but to my knowledge Apple has not made the details of how this works available to end users.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I asked a question on the ON1 community and they came back with: https://on1help.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360019689051-Supported-File-Types-and-Camera-Models-ON1-Photo-Raw-2019

Basically ON1 does have a proprietary engine and it is used on Tier 1 camera's, The Tier 2 camera's will use the OS RAW. Oddly your camera model isn't in either tier list nor is the lens in the lens correction profiles for ON1 RAW. 

• 2 months later...

I have also been experiencing similar issues in AP.

Until purchasing AP i had been developing in RAW with Canon DPP4. The CR2 and jpg files that are downloaded from the camera into DDP4 appear much sharper than can be achieved in AP. Whilst I am quite new to AP, I can see others are having similar issues.

The 1st image is post processing in AP, the 2nd is the jpg file straight from the camera. Images are at 200%. Whilst it's not a big deal as the car is in the background, it's easy to see the difference in sharpness and noise.
jpg.thumb.png.9b90cdad850d5d015721c2e6c9bfe74f.png

af.png

Edited by Gordon Alexander