You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Issue with photos being overexposed by itself

Lately, I have an issue with my Affinity Photos program. When I want to prosses RAW photos, I edit the photos with the slider on the right and as soon as apply to develop button, the photos change the look and become overexposed. Also, even before I develop, I minimise the program and maximise again, the photos go overexposed, although, the sliders show same editing numbers and the histogram stays exactly the same. So the result becomes as the overexposed phots when I export them.

I updated my graphic card and window and the issue still there. My PC Specification is below:

• Windows 10
  • Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8400 CPU @2.80GHz  2.81 GHz
  • System type: 64- bit operating system, x64 based processor
  • RAM: 16GB
  • Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

The screenshots examples are in this link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1wVOxH6S4KkLCiWvFtgIXQSB2ZNgHo6AL

I appreciate if someone can help me to solve this issue. Thank you.

01-Original  photo.png

02-edited.png

03-after minimise.png

04-PC Spec.png

Thank you for your response, HVDB Photography.

well, as I mentioned, as soon as I develop RAW files, they become overexposed and become JPG files, so when I go to Photo Persona with the overexposed JPGs, still stay overexposed.

also, I uninstalled and reinstalled again, but no luck. 

Edited by temple_2004

In Develop Persona, go to View > Studio > 32-bit Preview The 32-bit Preview panel will open, by default it should be set to...

• Preview exposure: 0
  • Preview Gamma: 1
  • Display Transform: ICC Display Transform.

You can adjust the Preview exposure and Gamma to suit, 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

There are some issues with Windows and 32-bit HDR images if you have an HDR-capable monitor. You might try the latest beta of Photo and see if that fixes your problem. You can get beta 1.7.2.434 here.

The beta will install in parallel with the retail version, enabling you to use either version. Any appliation settings are also kept separate.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

13 hours ago, firstdefence said:

In Develop Persona, go to View > Studio > 32-bit Preview The 32-bit Preview panel will open, by default it should be set to...

thank you First Defence. it was not quite what you said, but i changed the display transform from ICC Display to unmanaged. it works for a bit good but jumped back to the initial issue.

Edited by temple_2004

8 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

There are some issues with Windows and 32-bit HDR images if you have an HDR-capable monitor. You might try the latest beta of Photo and see if that fixes your problem. You can get beta 1.7.2.434 here.

The beta will install in parallel with the retail version, enabling you to use either version. Any appliation settings are also kept separate.

thank you, Walt, for your response. I've downloaded the Beta, it does the exact same thing. thanks again

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hey temple_2004,

It looks like you're running in the Unmanaged Display Transform, however, when you maximize the app it's like it is forgetting that it is in that mode. If you load up the 32-bit Preview Panel, what does it currently say? When you load the app, it will always revert to the ICC Display Transform which isn't what you want if Unmanaged is working out better for you.

I'm going to keep poking this as I do see the canvas redraw itself from a darker preview to a lighter one when I Minimize and then Maximize but this doesn't happen on Unmanaged.

Hi Chris,

I ve tried almost everything. The panel says ICC Display Transform, then I change it manually to Unmanaged, it gets back to the photo expose level as shot, however, when I start to edit the photo with the right side sliders, everything works perfectly, but at the bottom right there will be a thumbnail of the editing photo which is overexposed, therefore, when I click on the develop button to do the prosses, the photo converts to a JPG overexposed and the editing doesn’t look like the way I want. please try to develop my raw file. might work for you, but it doesnt work for me.

Ps. This never happens to JPG files, only RAW.

• Staff
On 8/21/2019 at 1:35 PM, temple_2004 said:

Hi Chris,

I ve tried almost everything. The panel says ICC Display Transform, then I change it manually to Unmanaged, it gets back to the photo expose level as shot, however, when I start to edit the photo with the right side sliders, everything works perfectly, but at the bottom right there will be a thumbnail of the editing photo which is overexposed, therefore, when I click on the develop button to do the prosses, the photo converts to a JPG overexposed and the editing doesn’t look like the way I want. please try to develop my raw file. might work for you, but it doesnt work for me.

Ps. This never happens to JPG files, only RAW.

Hi, please could I advise not to touch the options on the 32-bit Preview Panel—the Display Transform should be set to ICC Display Transform and left on that option. Unmanaged is for edge cases when you need to see the scene-referred (linear) representation of the image, it doesn't apply to most photography/image editing workflows.

By default (when developing to 16-bit), if you try and make edits with an Unmanaged view and then click Develop, the developed image will appear significantly brighter. This is because you are moving from Unmanaged (linear) to a non-linear view transform, and this behaviour is by design. When editing 8-bit and 16-bit documents, the non-linear view transform is accurate and will reflect how your image will look when exported.

It's possible to type several paragraphs about all of this, but that wouldn't really have much relevance. In order to troubleshoot this issue, please could you ensure Display Transform is set to ICC Display Transform, perform some edits to your image, develop it, then see if the developed result looks the same? What we need to do is eliminate the 32-bit Preview Panel settings as a factor as they're only complicating the issue.

but at the bottom right there will be a thumbnail of the editing photo which is overexposed

As an aside, this is likely because the navigator preview still has the non-linear view transform applied—in this instance, that's actually correct and is an accurate representation of how your image will look in the main Photo Persona and when exported.

On 8/6/2019 at 7:09 AM, firstdefence said:

Just a side note, you shouldn't change preview exposure and gamma with the expectation of them having an effect on the final image–they're non-destructive and applied at the view stage, they have no bearing on the numbers (pixel values) within the document.

To be blunt, for the majority of photographic image editing cases, the 32-bit Preview panel should just be left alone :ph34r: it does have a valid use if you want to enable HDR and see the extended brightness values of your document/image, but until HDR adoption becomes more widespread and supported within image viewers, web browsers etc its usefulness is limited since you would still have to tone map an SDR version of your image for export.

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

• 1 month later...