You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Huge Affinity Designer app size on iPad Pro 9.7 (again)

iuli

Three days ago AD suddenly got to 83GB while my files/assets/styles had a total of 1GB; this coincidentally happened while I was adding brushes (found here, on your fantastic forums) via “import brushes...” command, from iCloud, so I wasn’t doing anything weird outside the app (i.e. dragging the files in or something to cause crashes). I’ve thought it was just an accident, so I wouldn’t have expected to see the Designer’s size growing again and so soon, without adding anything to the app; this morning the app size was 15GB, now (five hours later) is 40GB (a couple of minutes ago was 56GB), and while I was recording, the app size decreased to 26GB (as you can see in the video, everything imported into the app are a few brushes and assets and they only  have 27MB)

I know there’s a file I should remove via iTunes & PC to bring the app size to normal, however unfortunately for me I have no access to PC in the near future, so the only thing to do is to erase/reinstall the app, which is not a big deal. My problem is that while the app got to enormous size a few days ago (taking almost all the iPad’s storage in the process) I was unable to delete the app, interact with iPad’s setting, etc. Rebooting it has taken 10 minutes while the Apple logo was appearing and disappearing, frankly I’ve got freaked out. I’m pretty scared to work with it right now since the app size could go up to an enormous size yet again.

So my question is, do you guys have any fix for this besides erasing that file from iTunes?; — because it was one year ago when I was reporting this exact same problem, and it’s still here. You have these great apps, and you improve them constantly which is great, but I find this size problem a huge bug that should have been addressed a long time ago.

Respectfully,

iuli

EDIT: After I’ve exported my brushes to iCloud, the app reverted to normal size (as shown in the video recorded just now); I don’t know why, another coincidence maybe?

StudioLink 256gb 11’ M1 iPad Pro

iPadOS 17 Public Beta 1

iPad Magic Keyboard

On 8/4/2019 at 10:07 AM, Iulisvectordesign said:

I know there’s a file I should remove via iTunes & PC to bring the app size to normal, however unfortunately for me I have no access to PC in the near future, so the only thing to do is to erase/reinstall the app, which is not a big deal.

Hi @Iulisvectordesign,

Could you send me a link to the thread explaining the suggested solution via iTunes?

Thank you very much
Sandra

22 minutes ago, SandraM said:

Hi @Iulisvectordesign,

Could you send me a link to the thread explaining the suggested solution via iTunes?

Thank you very much
Sandra

Hello,

this is the thread; @GabrielM came with the solution; it helped me out a handful of times in the past, hopefully you’ll find it useful as well.

Regards.

iPadOS 17 Public Beta 1

iPad Magic Keyboard

Many thanks to iuli @Iulisvectordesign and gabriel @GabrielM,

I'm working with the latest big iPad Pro and the latest AD version on the iPad.

I already had the problem in April that the size of the AD app on the iPad has grown to over 70GB. At that time I deleted the app and had to restore the brushes, color palettes, folder structures of my files, etc. with a lot of effort. The result was a reduction from 77GB to 690 MB of disk space.

57216699_10215583229708400_1025107259312570368_n.jpg.5fed7f9c8cf5bad52c37001888aab50a.jpg56652862_10215583229668399_6709763974721699840_n.jpg.95635b24a34634f8f244b40b95d2c580.jpg

In addition, I always deleted the entire history in the individual drawings. Since that time I have only created smaller drawings, which in total occupy a data volume of about 45MB in the iCloud, nevertheless the app on the iPad has swollen to 70GB again. Under file sharing in iTunes I don't see an Inbox folder.

fullsizeoutput_5de3.thumb.jpeg.3cf42a4e84f01ef83d21ccc3992b2bca.jpeg

590848931_Bildschirmfoto2019-08-06um10_22_39.thumb.png.ddee20af4ead3d0c73d86128e1c804dc.png

Update: the backup of all afdesign. Files in the iCloud has a total volume of 1.02 GB . In every single file I deleted the logs for the history. 

It would be good if I could see an overview of the files and their file size in the settings of the app and delete them directly there if necessary.

70 GB of storage space for an app that needs 1.3 GB and uses another 1.02 GB of net space for documents seems to me to be a bit eerie hoc.

Regards Sandra

Hi support team,

Is there any solution how I can reduce the huge amount of data without deleting the app?

Deleting the app means a lot of effort, because I have to restore all brush settings, all color palettes, all settings within the app and all project folders manually.

As you can see in the screenshot, I don't have an "Inbox" folder in iTunes that explains this amount of data.

Data volume app: 1,13GB
Data volume .afdesign files in the iCloud 1.02GB

But 71.6GB app storage space requirement on the iPad. 

After trying to move the app to the iCloud and restore it using Apple tools, it was still 71.6GB.

As already described above, I also deleted the project logs in every single .afdesign file.

Is there already a solution for this problem, if yes, it is implemented in the 1.7.2 

Best regards Sandra

• Staff

Hi SandraM,
Do you have many open documents on your home screen at all? If so does closing these down recover this space at all?

Did you notice the size had swollen after reimporting all of your assets, brushes, settings etc? If that is the case would you be willing to share all of the files you are importing and opening once you've redownloaded it from the app store at all please?

If so please use this link below to upload to our internal Dropbox account:
https://www.dropbox.com/request/QLlDuciuf8fckn7chGlN

Hi @Sean P,

After the complete reinstallation, as well as the import of brushes and .afdesign files, I could not observe any unnatural increase in disk space. The storage space has risen to over 70GB in the coming weeks.

But during this time I only made small sketches in the AD on the iPad. I share all my brushes, app settings, color palettes and .afdesign files with you via a dropbox link. You can find the release link in the document I put in your dropbox.

Thank you very much for your support. For this problem I already have a support ticket [292-24DEB444-0307].

Greetings Sandra

• Staff
1 hour ago, SandraM said:

Hi @Sean P,

After the complete reinstallation, as well as the import of brushes and .afdesign files, I could not observe any unnatural increase in disk space. The storage space has risen to over 70GB in the coming weeks.

But during this time I only made small sketches in the AD on the iPad. I share all my brushes, app settings, color palettes and .afdesign files with you via a dropbox link. You can find the release link in the document I put in your dropbox.

Thank you very much for your support. For this problem I already have a support ticket [292-24DEB444-0307].

Greetings Sandra

Did you have all of the documents contained in 'AD-Dateien-201908' open in Designer (as in they appeared in the list of opened documents) on Designer front page?

• Staff
2 minutes ago, SandraM said:

Hi @Sean P,

Yes, the total size of all .afdesign files is about 1GB. I have already deleted the histories/ logs in every single file.

I have organized the files in various projects analogous to the subfolders in the dropbox.

Greetings Sandra

Could you try closing down a lot of these and see if that reduces the size? Unfortunately it isn't as simple as the file size is how much space it will take up within the application when open. When a file is opened a lot of the data is uncompressed so can take up a lot more space! 

• 4 months later...

Two weeks ago I reinstalled affinity designer after getting to 100GB of size; today the iPad started to be unresponsive because the app reached 150GB which made impossible to save many of my vector files to iCloud. I’ve managed to save parts of my files in assets, unfortunately half of them didn’t upload. iTunes doesn’t help anymore.

If you have the tremendous misfortune and it happens to you too, open your projects and saved your projects by following ‘document - save as’ and make a fresh folder; it doesn’t save outside projects; sometimes it doesn’t save ‘as copy’ either. Probably many of them will not save so making a fresh asset adding your projects there is the only way to get your files out (it’s good I’ve made multiple assets because a couple of them didn’t upload. I should have probably reboot the iPad but it didn’t cross my mind)

Monitoring the app size is mandatory if you have such issues yourself, although sometimes is getting out of hand and triples in size very quick (yesterday the app had @40GB)

I don’t have the strength to complain about this anymore, but this bug is messing with people lives yet it’s just as bad as it was a year ago when first reported. 

I couldn’t make a video but I’ve managed to screenshot the app/device storage in settings.

Kind regards,

iuli 

4FD1D946-4B19-4D47-A2C1-7792A98AB4C6.png

FFA47545-CC8B-48A5-91E9-4CC16FF81E41.png

iPadOS 17 Public Beta 1

iPad Magic Keyboard