You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo crashes when using Quick Mask

Hey guys, firstly here's my setup:

Windows 10 Pro 1903
Affinity Photo 1.7.1.404 (and also tested with the latest beta 1.7.2.434)

I've attached the file I'm using which is a score by Chopin which is freely available via a website known as IMSLP.

1. Open the PDF Chopin - Waltzes Op.69.pdf with Affinity Photo
  2. In PDF Options, leave everything in its default state and hit OK
  3. You should now see 8 pages
  4. Zoom into page 1
  5. Hit M to select the Rectangle Marquee Tool and draw a box around part of the score
  6. Hit Q to switch on Quick Mask
  7. Hit V to switch to the Move Tool
  8. Now adjust the the handles which appear around the select to change its size (adjust several of them a few times)

You'll need to perform step 8 for about 10 - 30 seconds before Affinity Photo completely disappears without warning.

There is no error found in the Event Viewer on my system at all either.

I've uploaded a demonstration of this at https://1drv.ms/u/s!AobnWXPnBeTBgd5gEQXnYgvSec7fXA?e=kKkgXC

Any help is greatly appreciated, this is causing me some huge headaches
Fotis

Chopin - Waltzes Op.69.pdf

Edited by fgimian

Select  the  "Page1 (artboard)"  layer,  right click on it and choose rasterise .... and then it will work as expected.

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

43 minutes ago, HVDB Photography said:

Select  the  "Page1 (artboard)"  layer,  right click on it and choose rasterise .... and then it will work as expected.

Thank you so much for the reply,  that does seem to do the trick and avoid the app from crashing.  It would be good if the app could gracefully handle such scenarios without crashing though.  Hoping that this can be reported to the devs for a fix in a future version.

2 hours ago, fgimian said:

Hoping that this can be reported to the devs for a fix in a future version.

A click on the little arrow in front  that layer reveals a nested (image) layer.
Image layers are a "special" layer type that retains all the original image data.
But they cannot be edited/manipulated at a pixel level. 
For that they must be rasterised first. 

Hubert

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

20 hours ago, HVDB Photography said:

A click on the little arrow in front  that layer reveals a nested (image) layer.
Image layers are a "special" layer type that retains all the original image data.
But they cannot be edited/manipulated at a pixel level. 
For that they must be rasterised first. 

Hubert

Thanks, that makes sense.  Though on the flip side, Affinity Photo should still not crash/poof under this (or any) circumstance.  Your advice and help has definitely got me on the road again which is great, but still hoping to see the Serif devs repair this crash scenario; by all accounts it has to be considered a bug when the app crashes, regardless of user error.

Huge thanks and have a great week
Fotis