You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Live Projetion layer not working

Have used Live Projection layer in past to correct perspective on photos of art work.

Today fhe first thing I noticed upon choosing the Live Projection Layer / Perspective is that the dialogue window does not appear.  Usually I choose not to show the grid.

The grid appears and I can adjust the corners and the grid changes but the picture does not change. 

In other words it's not working.  Can it be fixed to do what it should do.

It does the same here. Is there any reason not to use the Perspective Tool icon on the Tools menu?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

5 hours ago, Edwa said:

Can it be fixed to do what it should do.

You are mixing this function up with another one.

Live Projection is not designed to "correct perspective on photos"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAZdsNeNa1A

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

The video was excellent, Carl.  Not what I need though.

Also the Perspective Tool in Filters / Distort / Perspective does what I want but leaves the checkerboard space.  Is there a tool to get rid of that.

I am still wanting to know what happened to the Perspective Tool that I used before the last Affinity Update.  I bought Affinity for the ability to correct the camera angle Perspective from my wife holding her cell phone at an angle.  It worked simply and efficiently.  I need this tool that seems to have disappeared. 

The tool I used was in the Layer / Live Filter Layer .  Now it is NOT there.  The Layers /  Live Projection is beyond comprehension. Both choices cannot be undone.  The perspective layer tool here does nothing but the grid cannot be removed.  So I have to delete the layer and start again.   WHAT !?!?!?!?!?

Please someone tell me where is the tool for which I purchased Affinity.  Do I need to return to Photoshop?

I suspect you've misremembered what you used before, as there have been no changes in that area that I know of. Perhaps the Perspective entry in the Photo Help will provide the solution you're looking for. Here's the online version.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I cannot find the Mesh Tool

In the link you shared 
 : to apply perspective:  From the Tools Panel on the left, click the Mesh Warp flyout, then the Perspective Tool.

I don't see a Mesh Warp flyout on my tool icons on the left

I don't find it in any of the drop downs at the top of the page

I tried searching for it in the Help Document  but it didn't find it 

I looked it up in the Affinity Book. It shows the icon but not where to find it.

Sorry

39 minutes ago, Edwa said:

I don't see a Mesh Warp flyout on my tool icons on the left

It's this one, on the Photo Tools panel: image.png.7247262f5fee2ce86c64b9d824448b61.png

If you're not seeing it, perhaps you need to use View > Customize Tools to add it. Or perhaps your window isn't tall enough to show all the tools, and you need to make the window taller, or configure the tools to display in two columns.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

The video was excellent, Carl.  Not what I need though.

Also the Perspective Tool in Filters / Distort / Perspective does what I want but leaves the checkerboard space.  Is there a tool to get rid of that.

I am still wanting to know what happened to the Perspective Tool that I used before the last Affinity Update.  I bought Affinity for the ability to correct the camera angle Perspective from my wife holding her cell phone at an angle.  It worked simply and efficiently.  I need this tool that seems to have disappeared. 

The tool I used was in the Layer / Live Filter Layer .  Now it is NOT there.  The Layers /  Live Projection is beyond comprehension. Both choices cannot be undone.  The perspective layer tool here does nothing but the grid cannot be removed.  So I have to delete the layer and start again.   WHAT !?!?!?!?!?

Please someone tell me where is the tool for which I purchased Affinity.  Do I need to return to Photoshop?

This is most frustrating experience.

1) First, i testify that the perspective tool I have used on about 30 different photographs of my wife's oil paintings is no longer available.  It was in the the Layer tool bar drop down and there were two live layer choices.  The one I chose had a long list from which I chose a perspective tool.  It worked perfectly to straight photos taken with a camera not on a tripod..  The list that now exists in the latest Affinity version shows half the choices and the perspective is one that is no longer available.

2)  Can I return to the Affinity version that had the left face of the female when opening?  This will solve the problem.  How do get rid of this newest version and return to the older, the previous version of Affinity ?  I will then report exactly which tool I use.

Right now I'm trying to take a photo of a painting and place on a photo of a building wall  and need to  match the perspective of the wall

1)  The mesh tool does not do what I need.  The picture looks correct, but when I save it - what I saw is not what I get. 

4)  The new tool in the Layers / Live Projection / Perspective  Projection is a joke.  It does not work.  

3) The suggested video on perspective is what I'm trying to do BUT WAY to complicated for me.

I liked the Affinity tool because it was less complex than Photoshop - although not so mathematically controlled.  I don't want to pay the extra money for Photoshop for this one tool feature.  I just want to return to Affinity's previous version.

9 minutes ago, Edwa said:

The list that now exists in the latest Affinity version shows half the choices and the perspective is one that is no longer available.

In the previous version, all Live Filter Layers were shown directly in the Dropdown menu.

In the current version, they are now sorted into groups but still contain all the original choices

Try

Layer > New Live Filter Layer > Distort > Perspective

Is that the one you are after?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

It sounds to me like you are using the tool you always used to use but have it on the wrong Mode - if you have it on source mode then it won't change anything in the image you are looking at. So once you've loaded you image, choose live filters - perpspective, then make sure the mode is set to destination (not source), then move the corner point and the image should distort as you drag it. Hopefully that's it!

Oh and for filling the edges you can use select > alpha range > select partially transparent. Then use edit > inpaint. Alternatively, you can just fill the selection with a solid colour, again in the edit menu > fill with primary colour.