BigTower

Disable Subpixel Rendering (or Cleartype) of Affinity Photo GUI under Windows 10

Hi,

i bought Affinity Publisher and Photo and am exited of the possibilities of this programs. I am a longtime user of Adobe InDesign (since version 1.0), Photoshop and Illustrator. At present i am working with CS6 Design Standard). But i want to change to the Affinity programs because i dont't like Adobe anymore (monthly subscriptions).

Now for me there is a real serious problem with the Affinity programs: I get strong headaches and burning eyes with the subpixel rendered fonts in the User Interface and Options. In the moment, i cannot work with your programs, i just can't...

In the attached image you can see what i mean.

My system: Windows 10 1903, build 18362.267, x64, Display native 1920x1080 px.

My desktop looks like Windows 95, no cleartype, green background, large font size (100 %, font size 10, Microsoft Sans Serif).

Will there be the possibility in a future version of your pgorams to turn off all rendered GUI fonts?

Thanks very much!

Kind regards

BigTower

Aufnahme15.jpg.9928274ffe5bf287b349b9bce377612c.jpg

Edited by BigTower

Hi can i bump this topic up?

Please Serif Team can you guys respond? I know a small team is very busy with many things, and this seems a minor problem. I  find it great we designers finally get an seriouse alternative to the big A. Never liked GIMP. I dont want endless features, i need ease of use / usability. Tight time schedules dont allow me to hassle with overcomplicated quirks .Dont like subscriptions either.

To the topic, i have the same issues reading anti aliased fonts or cleartype( even worse). I have seriouse issues with my diopters so anything in between screen pixels appears like unsharp for me and causing headache. I already have problems turning off all font AA on win 10. Seems MS doesnt care this problem either. My first LCD screen was such a relief to finally read binary fonts clear. Now with the advent of new win 10 and other modern applications i feel back to those horrible times of CRT screens that allways caused me issues. I hope the developers read this and can make it possible to deactivate all font AA withing their programms, and maybe even make it possible to choose a font. I prefer Tahoma since its a font you can already ready quite good at 12 pt.

Kep the good work going guys!

2 hours ago, UncleJimbo said:

Please Serif Team can you guys respond?

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

The Serif team generally does not respond in the Feature Request forums. They are for input to Serif, not discussion with Serif. They sometimes respond here, but often only when the request is unclear and they need clarification.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.676 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.676 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.663 Beta.

Hard to tell with image compression, but it doesn't look like there is subpixel rendering in AP UI text when compared with desktop text. At least in the screenshot.

Microsoft Windows 10 Home (Build 18363)
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3600Ghz; Mobo: Asus X470-PRO
16GB DDR4 (3100Mhz)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Monitor 1: 4K @ 150%
Monitor 2: 1080p @ 100%

WACOM Intuos4 Large; X-rite i1Display Pro; NIKON D5600 DSLR

Posted (edited)

Hello there

I made a screenshot and enlarged the picture to 200% without interpolation

You can see that the font on my desktop is much more clear to read than Affinitys font. I tried to regedit, turned off cleartype etc. I run Win 7 at home and have set it to max performance (This way all anti aliasing will be turned off) In the Office we recently purchased Affinity Photo and Designer and playn to replace Adobe with it. My Computer in the Office has Win 10 installed, its much more unasy to turn off all Anti Aliasing and Sub Pixel Anti Aliasing for the Win 10 System, change the system font? Need regedit to use Tahoma. I found no backdoor way to disable AA in Affinity, there seems no config file whatsoever in the install folder, only alot of dll.

aat.gif.31f5533b6e965dc63d02f63c1b0b862f.gif

Edited by UncleJimbo

1 hour ago, UncleJimbo said:

in Affinity, there seems no config file whatsoever in the install folder, only alot of dll.

You'll find a bunch of .xml files in the Affinity Application Data, but I'm not sure if any of them will help you:

image.png.67b38a6236c8c61c1bff28cf118716ff.png

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.676 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.676 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.663 Beta.

I think the user interface looks great as-is, so I certainly hope they don't make a change like this as the default option.

36 minutes ago, csc14us said:

I think the user interface looks great as-is, so I certainly hope they don't make a change like this as the default option.

Why would they?

I gave up using Designer (even for hobby use) - a "professional" vector drawing program without actual vector features. Waiting for five years in vain is more than any company can ask for.

Maybe if Affinity Designer 2.0 gets real and advanced vector features I can it use. Until then... I am a customer, potential upgrader and an active observer with an opinion. 

In Windows 8.1 you can change various font sizes for Menus etc in the Ease of Access Centre.  Here I've changed the Menus Font size from 11 to 14 and made them bold.  (just an example)

It may help some people, who can't read certain things on the interface, to know they can change them. (There should be a corresponding setting in Windows 10).

screen.png

Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be worried about.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, csc14us said:

I think a checkbox for Anti Aliasing of the UI font, plus the ability to change the font and the size is not changeing the whole interface. In Blender you can fully customize font and aa etc. Many 3d applications allow many interface customizations. I tried to load all those xml files and looked into them but nothing refers to font or font rendering.

Edited by UncleJimbo