You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Disable Subpixel Rendering (or Cleartype) of Affinity Photo GUI under Windows 10

11 hours ago, LibreTraining said:

At that resolution the reality is you only have so many pixels to work with.
And if the interface is expecting more resolution to draw a smaller font crisply, then Cleartype is the only thing which can help.
Help, not fix, simply help to make the best of a bad situation.

When the font is so small, and the resolution too low, it starts trying to draw half pixels, or third pixels, etc.
And then the only options are to (1) alias it and try to look better, or (2) hammer the font into fewer pixels (or more sometimes).
I had a 1440x900 display laptop for many years.
Many apps look really bad at that resolution (now).
But it is what it is.

You seem to have very deep knowledge of how fonts get rendered, which is a great read. Thanks for that!

My POV is very different though. I don't see a reason to do all this difficult solving of subpixel rendering in the first place. Sure it must be very interesting for a programmer, but what does it give me as a user? I have tested the Affinity fonts replaced with my default ones that have no subpixel rendering (see green arrows at the screenshot below). To me, my fonts look so much better.

So IMHO all this subpixel rendering thing is an interesting programming exercise but I see no benefit whatsoever. Just my opinion.

And if subpixel rendered fonts look much better than non subpixel rendered fonts on 4K screens then IMHO they should be available and developed... but only for that market. Not every screen is 4K and never will be.

🙂

K

image.png.31b7d20c7c36048f5ddebf4842b53227.png

6 hours ago, K2021 said:

My POV is very different though. I don't see a reason to do all this difficult solving of subpixel rendering in the first place. Sure it must be very interesting for a programmer, but what does it give me as a user? I have tested the Affinity fonts replaced with my default ones that have no subpixel rendering (see green arrows at the screenshot below). To me, my fonts look so much better.

So IMHO all this subpixel rendering thing is an interesting programming exercise but I see no benefit whatsoever. Just my opinion.

And if subpixel rendered fonts look much better than non subpixel rendered fonts on 4K screens then IMHO they should be available and developed... but only for that market. Not every screen is 4K and never will be.

I think you missed the point.
If the fonts are "tuned" to the interface they fit the pixel grid precisely, and no sub-pixel rendering is needed (or very little).

Apparently what you have found, using "your fonts" rather than the defaults, is a different compromise which you prefer.
In your example the text has been reduced to a single pixel width along with the resultant jaggies.
Some people like this. (apparently this includes you)
Some people do not.
As I mentioned above, it is always a compromise to try to help, when it can help, and personal preferences decide the "best" solution.

On 4K screens none of this matters.
There is very little or no benefit at all - because the problem it is attempting help is gone.
It only matters when a users' display simply does not have enough pixel density to draw the characters cleanly.
And until everyone has HiDPI screens it is going to be an issue.
An issue which may or may not be helped by the fonts selected.

29 minutes ago, DrBob53 said:

I dont know about sub-pixel, but I find the font on the menu bars very small. I found 'System Font Changer' from this site WinTools.Info - Download Center works for me without messing up too much else on the display. Font size can be attached to a hot key making it easy to change when eyes get tired.

It works very nicely. Thank you @DrBob53

:)

K

Edit: does not work as nicely as it seemed. It turns on ClearType and does not return the system to the original state at app exit 😕

17 hours ago, K2021 said:

Edit: does not work as nicely as it seemed. It turns on ClearType and does not return the system to the original state at app exit 😕

@K2021

Well, you can also try the official Windows 10 fix from microsoft:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/change-the-size-of-text-in-windows-10-1d5830c3-eee3-8eaa-836b-abcc37d99b9a

I find "Make everytthing bigger 125%" works wonders on my 22" HD display.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/29/2021 at 2:51 PM, DrBob53 said:

@K2021

Well, you can also try the official Windows 10 fix from microsoft:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/change-the-size-of-text-in-windows-10-1d5830c3-eee3-8eaa-836b-abcc37d99b9a

I find "Make everytthing bigger 125%" works wonders on my 22" HD display.

Thank you for the idea, but I am not going to change everything because of one program that I don't even use often.