You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

TIP - Fit To Canvas/Document - like Fireworks has

Hi anyone who's interested,

I have added a feature request for a "Fit To Canvas" or fit to document feature for both AD and AP ages ago like Fireworks has, but thought I'd add this quick tip that works pretty well.

Once you've got your graphic how you want it or before. I group it if I can(but not necessary and sometimes affects the layers) then copy it(ctrl or cmd C) then go to file at top of page and choose "New From Clipboard" your new doc will be trimmed to size with your graphic in it, then choose "Save As" then click the original document if you have saved already, else give it a name, Save, and your done.

It even works to enlarge the document/canvas. I draw a line to get the about size I will want, then do the same by copying the graphic with the new line, then go to "New From Clipboard" again then "Save As" and save it.

It's a bit little slower and cumbersome than the Fit To Canvas in Fireworks but it's pretty quick(quick enough for me and I use it all the time) and does the required job.

I wish Serif would put this in as a button/tool the code is already done with the "New From Clipboard".

Hope this helps someone.

Motto - STUPID HURTS!

10 hours ago, Timespider said:

I wish Serif would put this in as a button/tool the code is already done with the "New From Clipboard".

That is a button I would use too.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Not sure if I understand correctly but I think it is already there:

Designer:
1.- Select object/group
2.- Click Layers>Convert Object to Artboard

image.thumb.png.c576bf42e6bd2a91ed5c6a277a7b7d1b.png

Alternatively:
1.- Select object/group
2.- Select Artboard Tool
3.- From the dropdown menu, select "Selection"
4.- Click "Indest Artboard"

image.thumb.png.13d51e97c2534d41903a203f76581567.png

Hi and thanks Arceom,

well holy heck, I never new that Clip Canvas was in Photo.

Is there one of these in Designer?

Designer is what I've been doing my thing in mainly. The Artboard Tool in Designer doesn't behave like the Clip Canvas tool in you showed me in Photo. Also the Convert Object To Artboard is greyed out in Designers Layer drop down menu.

It's odd, I've opened both AD and AP and the tip is not  behaving like I posted.(Not much of a tip then)

It now doesn't fit the canvas/document around the graphic properly, it pushes it out to the side of the canvas like in image attached.

It was(when I posted and for the past 10 or so times I used it) kept the graphic in the center of the canvas.

But Clip Canvas in Photo is what I'm talking about and looking for.

affinitydesigner_object_to_artboard.jpg

affinityphoto_clip-canvas.jpg

Motto - STUPID HURTS!

SOLVED

Thanks Arceom,

yes that worked for me too, thanks for the video, easy to follow(what software did you use to make the video?).

Also what's the difference between the original file I sent you( sign_design.afdesign ) that had no artboard associated with it and then when this resize happens it then is attached to artboard1?

I'm not up to date with artboards and have never created one by default.

Chris

Motto - STUPID HURTS!

1 hour ago, Timespider said:

what software did you use to make the video?

OBS, it's free 
https://obsproject.com

1 hour ago, Timespider said:

Also what's the difference between the original file I sent you( sign_design.afdesign ) that had no artboard associated with it and then when this resize happens it then is attached to artboard1?

Not sure I understand what you mean, I just opened the file you posted and followed the steps you saw on the video.

46 minutes ago, Arceom said:

Not sure I understand what you mean, I just opened the file you posted and followed the steps you saw on the video.

The sign_design.afdesign file on my system doesn't have an artboard associated to it as in, artboard1 isn't written on the canvas until I do the resize as you showed and then it says artboard1 .

Also this image artboard_b4_after.jpg is the first time I've cropped, resized and exported from AD or AP since you've showed me that resize canvas trick, I usually screenshot and do it in Fireworks, so I guess I'm moving up in the world.

Are you in the southern hemisphere or just working late?

artboard_b4_after.jpg

Motto - STUPID HURTS!

I think that documents don't get artboards by default you have to specify you want them checking the box at document creation or by following the steps you saw on the video. 

image.png.cd767303efacca87654964479d642d0f.png

Artboards are very useful when designing for various screen sizes using constrains.
https://affinity.help/designer/en-US.lproj/index.html?page=pages/DesignAids/constraints.html?title=Constraints