You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

This is where Paragraph Styles come into use. Have one for Months one for Dates one for Whatever Else. Tag the dummy-text and when you replace it on real pages it will by default keep that Paragraph Style.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Weird, changing a text property or assigning a different text style to a master page text frame does not apply to its children on document pages.
Whereas changes to the frame itself become transferred, for instance position, size, colors.

As a workaround:
1. Create a text style and assign it to the text on the master page.
2. To change the text style don't select any frame, neither on master nor on child page, but change the style definition only.

9 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Tag the dummy-text

Do you mean with "Tag" something different than assign or apply?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1 only

1 hour ago, thomaso said:

Weird, changing a text property or assigning a different text style to a master page text frame does not apply to its children on document pages.

A bit weird, and perhaps should be reported as a bug, but even if you could change them on a Master they wouldn't affect any existing text on a document page. So it wouldn't help the OP.

The "text properties" of a Text Frame are merely the defaults for new text that you enter into the frame. For any existing text in a frame you would need to select the text and apply a Paragraph or Character Text Style to it, or use the Paragraph or Character studio panels.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4

8 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

but even if you could change them on a Master

I am able to change them (any text property) in any way on a masters text frame. – Aren't you, too? [what does 'OP' mean?]
I just miss a text style change being transferred from master to its according frames on document pages.

For any existing text in a frame you would need to select the text

I am able to change text properties (= style/formatting) either via text style panel or single properties in paragraph and character panel WITHOUT selecting the text itself (text tool) but simply with the frame selected (move tool). – Aren't you, too?

That frame only selection should be the shortest way to alter the formatting of the "month" text frame of the topic openers ('TO' ?) request.

perhaps should be reported as a bug,

Is there anything which makes you doubt ("perhaps") that it is a bug?
Even if it's a forgotten feature and therefore so to say "by Design" I think this issue limits the master page use in a buggy way, doesn't it?

I am able to change them (any text property) in any way on a masters text frame. – Aren't you, too? [what does 'OP' mean?]

OP == Original Poster.

Yes, you can change them on the Master, but they do not affect the children. Sorry for my lack of clarity.

I am able to change text properties (= style/formatting) either via text style panel or single properties in paragraph and character panel WITHOUT selecting the text itself (text tool) but simply with the frame selected (move tool). – Aren't you, too?

No, I'm not. Any changes to the properties via the frame, or the Character or Paragraph panels, apply only to existing text that is selected, or to new text that will be entered after those changes. If you have text in the frame, but it is not selected, it is not affected by the changes. And that is the OP's situation.

That frame only selection should be the shortest way to alter the formatting of the "month" text frame of the topic openers ('TO' ?) request.

If the OP did not already have text in the frame on the document page, of course. But from that original post, they already have text.

Is there anything which makes you doubt ("perhaps") that it is a bug?

Yes, or I would not have said "perhaps". But at the time I could not explain what. Now that I have played with it more, I will say it is not a bug.

At first It seemed logical that if one changes the text properties associated with the frame on the Master Page, such as font, font size, and other items contained in the Context Toolbar or in the Text Frame panel, that those changes would carry over to existing document pages. And as it turns out, they do carry over, but only to text frames that are empty. If the document page text frames contain any text, then those changes made on the Master Page are ignored.

And that makes sense, because if you have added text to an inherited text frame on a document page, you have unlinked the text attributes from the Master. (Expand the Master Page layer on the document page, and note the broken orange highlighting on the text frame layer.) That unlinking is automatic for the contents of the text frame, with no need for you to use Edit Detached. And the unlinking explains why the changes on the Master Page do not carry over to the populated document page text frames.

So that's not a bug.

(But even if they did carry over, they would not affect the existing text, only new text, and would not solve the question in this topic. For that we need to use paragraph text styles, as already suggested.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:
4 hours ago, thomaso said:

No, I'm not. Any changes to the properties via the frame, or the Character or Paragraph panels, apply only to existing text that is selected,

That sounds strange to me. – Do you think it is mac/win related?
– So you also can not select two or more text frames on a page and assign or change a text property to their existing text, not even text color?
– If even a text color change is not possible with a move tool selection than the split of the color-assign-icons into color/swatches versus text frame panel would be no advantage in Windows, because AfPub is aware whether you have a text or a frame selected, agree?
– How about frame properties in text frame panel; are you able to change these with move tool frame selection – or do you need the text tool and select the frames content as well to change a frame background color for instance?

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

And that makes sense, because if you have added text to an inherited text frame on a document page, you have unlinked the text attributes from the Master. (Expand the Master Page layer on the document page, and note the broken orange highlighting on the text frame layer.) That unlinking is automatic for the contents of the text frame, with no need for you to use Edit Detached. And the unlinking explains why the changes on the Master Page do not carry over to the populated document page text frames. 

So that's not a bug.

I agree that the easy text editing feature to edit a master text on a child page without the need to manually detach does actually detach automatically (broken orange line).

But am still not sure whether it behaves in conscious purpose to detach all text properties when a text content gets edited.

Compare the behavior for the frame properties: Even if you detach a text frame to change 1 of its frame properties the others still are linked like never detached.
For instance you can change one of the following and still have the others linked with the master text frame:

– Stroke
– Fill
– Dimensions, Size
– Position

According to this convenient master-child relation, which keeps one frame property independent from its others, I would expect to experience the same independency for text properties, too. For instance to change text color only without losing the font/size/leading etc property being linked to the master text frame formatting. (e.g. for the OP: colorize the months  July/August as sunny.)

I can not imagine a situation where this different dependencies of text versus frame properties will be an advantage. – Can you?
(Though I am aware that using saved text styles is the most proper way to assign text formatting, of cause.)

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2019 at 5:29 PM, Old Bruce said:

This is where Paragraph Styles come into use. Have one for Months one for Dates one for Whatever Else. Tag the dummy-text and when you replace it on real pages it will by default keep that Paragraph Style.

Thanks, I understand what you are saying but I am wanting to change the font of the words already typed in the Month boxes. So, I have a master for the month with a certain font.  Then I go ahead and fill in my Jan, Feb, etc. on appropriate page.  Now I want to change the font of all of those month names I already typed in.  When I tried using styles it still changes the whole word not just the style. Not sure if that makes any sense.