You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can text flow from one text box to another?

Hi,

I've migrated from Adobe illustrator and am new to Affinity designer.
In Illustrator, text from a text box can be made to continue to another text box.
For eg. (In the image attached) the text from the green paragraph would
automatically flow to the blue text box and then to the orange one. This is easy
in Illustrator using a symbol appearing in the right hand bottom corner of the text box.

Is there a way to achieve this in Affinity designer? 'cause now I'm having to cut and paste the 
text in different text boxes that wont allow me to adjust the entire text at the same time.

Screenshot (45).png

Being sure to Convert to Curves, @GarryP and @chaudhary.   Stupid me.  I dragged that silly text box all over the canvas before I thought, "you dummy (me) it may be a Friday afternoon, but the Node Tool still doesn't work without the conversion."

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

44 minutes ago, jmwellborn said:

Being sure to Convert to Curves

But be careful when you do that :)

It needs to be before you as the text to the frame, I believe.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

@walt.farrell Then how do you explain GarryP’s example above?  That frame has text in it.  Looks to me as though the text is moving with the frame.

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

Just now, jmwellborn said:

@walt.farrell Then how do you explain GarryP’s example above?  That frame has text in it.  Looks to me as though the text is moving with the frame.

If Convert to Curves was used, it was done before the text was added to the frame. If done after the text was added, the text would be curves, not text, and could not flow.

If you have a shape, and convert it to a Text Frame, you get a (Shape Text) layer.

If you have a shape or an empty Text Frame, and use Convert to Curves, you have a (Curve) layer. If you then convert it to a Text Frame you get a (Curve text) layer, which the Node tool can operate on.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Walt’s correct.

To get the text frame that I supplied in my example, you need to convert the shape to Curves before converting the shape to a Text Frame and then adding the text. Or, you could draw the shape using the Pen tool and then convert it to a Text Frame.

Converting a Text Frame containing text to Curves will convert the shape and the text to curves, making the text uneditable as text.

That’s an important point that I should have made earlier.

P.S. I’ve just noticed a weird ‘bug’ that I’ve reported: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/94630-concave-text-frames-don’t-always-show-the-text-in-the-expected-manner/

• 2 years later...
  • 11 months later...
On 11/27/2021 at 12:08 PM, GarryP said:

It’s not an oversight at all; text flow between frames is a Publisher-only feature, by design.
If you want text to flow between frames then you need to buy Publisher.

but the functionality is there, I just made 2 text boxes with text flow in publisher and copy/pasted to designer and they work in tandem.

Are we sure we don't miss something here? Something in the menu or something?

Current Workstation:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5500 - MOBO: Asus B450 - RAM: 16GB DDR4 2667Mhz - GPU: AMD Radeon 7850 1GB
NVMe SSD: Crusial P3 1TB M.2 -  SSD: Samsung Evo 850 256GB  - PSU: XFX TS450 - OS: Win10

1 hour ago, nitro912gr said:

The file formats are common among the three Affinity applications, and therefore when you Open an application in Designer that you created in Publisher there are many functions that need to work, even though they are not native functions in Designer.

Designer will handle linked text frames if you set them up in Publisher, but creating linked text frames is intentionally a Publisher-only function.

-- Walt
PC:

• 1 year later...
On 11/7/2022 at 7:27 AM, nitro912gr said:

but the functionality is there, I just made 2 text boxes with text flow in publisher and copy/pasted to designer and they work in tandem.

I'm 100% with you, this is something like the authors think they have to do this way (Publisher-only function) vs what the people wanted/needed.