You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Live Paint Bucket equivalent

I do most of my drawing in Adobe Ideas on my iPad, which creates compound vector shapes, which I then use the Live Paint feature in Illustrator to fill in. It makes colouring extremely quick and easy.

Is there already, or is there a planned equivalent for Affinity? It's basically the only thing stopping me from making the switch from Illustrator to this, as it's a really nice app otherwise.

Many thanks!

• 4 months later...

Hi bruised_blood,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

There isn't a Live Paint Tool (or equivalent) in Affinity Designer. I don't believe it will be available in the short term. We are committed to complete the current roadmap, so it may still take a while until we can consider this.

Awww, say it ain't so, MEB!!!  Most of my way of working with vector drawings is to build line art from shapes and then fill them in!  I am fiercely devoted to promoting Affinity Designer, but having to draw colored shapes behind the line work takes so much time, and it would be so convenient if you had something similar to the live paint bucket!  I spent the afternoon drawing this fan art thing, and want to have it ready for Halloween, but oh man, the work ahead of me where drawing the color shapes comes in!!!...I think it might be wine o'clock (if not WHINE o'clock!)!   ;)

I really hope you can come up with a way to do this some day soon!  Still and all - I persevere!   :)

post-2632-0-51721800-1445850005_thumb.png

• Staff

Hello Patchwork,

That's a great drawing. I know the Live Paint Tool can be a real time saver, but we have to prioritise certain (basic) features first, before moving to advanced tools.

Affinity Designer is still in its first steps and the development team is relatively small. We need time to get there. Bear we us.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I too am very interested in seeing this kind of feature added to Designer. A paint bucket tool that works with vectors would give Designer a major efficiency boost (Designer is already more efficient than Illustrator in many areas but this is one where it is lacking)!

Thanks!

Hokusai

+1, To me the 'Smart Fill' function from CorelDRAW is even more elegant than the LivePaint feature from Illustrator. (you don't have to make a Live Paint group first. CorelDRAW lacks much, but Smart Fill is nice).

And the bucket fill feature from Inkscape won't suffice for me. (The fill has to be based on the actual vector info, not the rasterized screen projection)

I am waiting for the windows beta, but I won't have much use for AD if this has such a low priority.

+1

+1, To me the 'Smart Fill' function from CorelDRAW is even more elegant than the LivePaint feature from Illustrator. (you don't have to make a Live Paint group first. CorelDRAW lacks much, but Smart Fill is nice).

And the bucket fill feature from Inkscape won't suffice for me. (The fill has to be based on the actual vector info, not the rasterized screen projection)

I am waiting for the windows beta, but I won't have much use for AD if this has such a low priority.

I don't find creating new object from "Smart Fill" more elegant. What if you like to move one object a little bit? Then you must delete the previous created "Smart Fill" object and then create a new one, instead of auto filling the new empty space.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

• 7 months later...
  • 11 months later...

+ 1

Hi Affinity. I bought your tool last week. Looking great, however, I must admit I am a bit disappointed this feature (paint bucket equivalent) is still not present.

Or am I overlooking something?

Manipulating curves with nodes and and boolean operations to end up with a shape that can be filled is simply way too time consuming.

Is something like this on the roadmap for the near future?

For now, I have to keep using Illustrator.

Could you kindly provide us with more information about whether this feature has any priority for you at all?

Thanks!

• 5 months later...
  • Staff

@Iulian Onofrei

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

It is very unlikely that anyone will go through the feature request post updating them if a feature is added to the software or the roadmap list, sorry.

At the top of all threads there is a "follow" button (it may be at the bottom on mobiles). Also any thread that you post into is added to your interests, but having said that the Roadmap thread is an odd beast, in that the original post gets edited when items are added or removed. Editing a post does not notify the people who follow it. So that is not ideal. I will make sure that when the roadmap thread is edited, a new post is added to the bottom to say what was removed (when a feature is added in a patch) or added (if we add any more to the 1.x roadmap). That way there will be a record of the changes and a notification to the followers.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...