You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I want to create a path of rectangles in Designer, but right now when I draw using the brush I created, the rectangles become curved to follow the path.

I want the rectangles to follow the curve but remain parallel, 90-degree rectangles.

In my attached jpg you can see two paths I created. The top path is by using the new brush I created. The lower path is by my manually lining up rectangles. The bottom path example is the look I am after, but it is way too tedious to build. 

How can I get the look of the lower path but build it efficiently? I have many paths in different colors I want to create to make a Ticket to Ride board game.

Thanks for any help!

Karenq

Rectangle path TEST-1.jpg

• Staff

Hi Karenq,

Welcome to the forums :)

Unfortunately this isn't currently possible in Designer, the shape will always 'follow' the curve, meaning the rectangles will curve as your line does.

I'll move this post to our Feedback section of the forums now for our devs to see and consider implementing an option for this in the future!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

Designer supports text on a path.  That "text" can also be an image or shape

e.g. create a rectangle, copy it and paste it where you would normally type text on a path, repeat pasting the shape as required.

shapeonapath.png

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Hmmm, My alignment looked different than yours, Carl. Yours is exactly what I am after.

The top two paths are my rectangles copied and pasted as text along a path. But how do I control their alignment/orientation? I poked around in the Typography tool and the stroke tool, but couldn't figure it out. It must be in alignment (but baseline shifting didn't work)...

Karen

Rectangle path as TYPE TEST-2.jpg

I figured out what went wrong. Rather than copying a rectangle parallel to the paste board, I copied a skewed rectangle.

Here's my corrected path, and I'm able to track the "text" to adjust space between rectangles. Thanks again Carl!

Karen

Rectangle path as TYPE TEST-3.jpg

Glad you sorted it

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.