You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[workaround] Pasting text into text frame instantly crashes, 1.71 OSX

[workaround] - see Old Bruce's reply below. Text file needed to be placed directly into the document (not in a textbox). Still shouldn't cause a crash though!

I admit I have only just started using Publisher but this has baffled me. I want to try and do a long report style document in Affinty (good idea? bad idea?) so just opened a new doc and inserted a text frame. I paste my text into it, around 4000 words. Crash. Okay. Try 2000 words. Crash. 1000 words crash. Less than a textboxes worth of text . . . okay.

Am I missing something here? Do I manually need to do something like create pages and make textboxes and link them all *before* I paste text?  Huh? Why is the text not pasting and then just either making more linked textboxes and pages or at least asking me if I want to do that.

Perhaps I am approaching the software the wrong way, but pasting raw text into a textbox shouldn't be crashing a piece of publishing software...

2 hours ago, BobFossil said:

pasting raw text into a textbox shouldn't be crashing a piece of publishing software...

Agree. This is in Publisher right?

Try "Placing" the text instead. File > Place... this comes with the caveat that some word processor formats are not supported. I have placed 10s of thousands of words from a simple ".txt" file with no problems at all. I never tried copying and pasting that much though.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I got excited at your comment, tried "placing" the .txt into a text box, and then it crashed after 2 seconds.  Ok, round 2.

Delete textbox. Blank document. "Place" text file into document. Hallelujah! It works.

• So, no copying and pasting text into textboxes (???) no placing text files into textboxes

Just place the .txt directly into the document.

Thanks for your help. I am definitely calling this a bug and not a feauture ;)

I think you should not name your topic [solved] because it can work to place or paste text into an existing text frame.

It "simply" appears to be depending on the source type whether it works or crashes.

It was reported several times as bug – but I am not aware whether it got ever logged for the developers.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1