You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text frame baseline grid

Using a baseline grid for the text part and a separate text frame baseline grid for manually placing footnotes at the bottom of the page (margin). In the beta I was able to aline the text frame baseline grid to the bottom of that frame. That has disappeared in the commercial one.  Love to see that back. Now it is almost impossible (for me?) to get the notes in their frame to line up on the bottom margin as their seems to be a conflict with the placing of the note frame. Note text is bottom aligned. Textframe grid is relative to top of frame. 

Any clues?

Not sure what exactly you are missing, I still see two baseline grids: one via menu View > Baseline Grid Manager..., the other via panel Text Frame > Baseline Grid, and I can let a bottom aligned text start at bottom page margin.

1150808343_textbaselinegrid2x.thumb.jpg.725de35e7372d08b5e0f8d8f6e4b97ba.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

On 8/1/2019 at 6:49 PM, thomaso said:

Not sure what exactly you are missing, I still see two baseline grids: one via menu View > Baseline Grid Manager..., the other via panel Text Frame > Baseline Grid, and I can let a bottom aligned text start at bottom page margin.

1150808343_textbaselinegrid2x.thumb.jpg.725de35e7372d08b5e0f8d8f6e4b97ba.jpg

Yes I all have that too. :) But in the previous beta there was an option in the "relative to" fly out menu in the text frame baseline grid that was called: "bottom of frame"that isn't available anymore. As you can see in your own screenshot that the text is indeed aligned with the grid, but the grid itself isn't aligned with the bottom border of the frame. I.e. I align the bottom of that text frame with the general baseline grid. In this case the baseline grid of the text frame doesn't align with that but is slightly above it. For footnotes I want the bottom text line in that text frame to be aligned with the gridline  of the general baseline grid  that is on the same position (in my case that is on the bottom margin line). Now it is almost impossible to quickly aline those grid lines.

I want all last text lines (where applicable, main text and footnote text) to be on the bottom margin line.

1 hour ago, KnikmanAV said:

the text is indeed aligned with the grid, but the grid itself isn't aligned with the bottom border of the frame.

Ah, that indeed appears way of contradictory.

I even would expect a text frame grid alignment would automatically be according to its frames text alignment setting, so for bottom aligned text its frame grid would be bottom aligned by default – without a need to choose "bottom of frame" from the pulldown menu.

[whereas your "all last text lines (where applicable, main text (...)" makes me wonder, if you want to have a baseline grid for the page starting from bottom and have its gap with the margin at the top of the page? Wouldn't a good grid respect both margins and have it set to a value which fits into the space between top and bottom margins without 'decimals'? ]

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

9 hours ago, thomaso said:

Ah, that indeed appears way of contradictory.

I even would expect a text frame grid alignment would automatically be according to its frames text alignment setting, so for bottom aligned text its frame grid would be bottom aligned by default – without a need to choose "bottom of frame" from the pulldown menu.

[whereas your "all last text lines (where applicable, main text (...)" makes me wonder, if you want to have a baseline grid for the page starting from bottom and have its gap with the margin at the top of the page? Wouldn't a good grid respect both margins and have it set to a value which fits into the space between top and bottom margins without 'decimals'? ]

My main base grid starts at the top margin. The bottom line is on the bottom margin. So the main text is aligned perfectly. The text frame for notes has another spacing and thus the problem as described.