You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer running slow with certain actions (Windows 10)

I have a Windows 10 laptop with a 7th gen Intel i5 CPU, an NVIDIA GTX 1050 GPU, and 8GB of RAM. I'm limiting my RAM usage in AD at almost all of it (7850 MB), have my dedicated NVIDIA GPU as the renderer, retina rendering set to "low" (don't know if this makes a difference with my regular 1080p screen), but with gradient dithering and precise clipping on.

However, when I transform a shape, it's noticeably slower than 60 fps. Maybe at 30 or 25 fps with frequent frame rate drops (the frame rate drops also happen when using the pen tool, but the regular frame rate is noticeably smoother) and it sometimes doesn't update the whole workspace at once, so I see bits of my project lag behind others. I know my computer isn't an absolute beast, but shouldn't these kind of specs still be able to run a program like this faster?

• Staff

Hi tristanbay,

Does performance improve if you disable Gradient Dithering and Precise Clipping?

Also try lowering the RAM usage, it should of been fine on the default settings.  You really want to leave at least 2GB for the rest of the PC.  Windows is normally pretty good at managing this stuff on it's own :)