You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I cannot get the cloning tool to sample within the round brush, it keeps wanting to take a sample below and to the left of the brush.  Doesn't matter how I click or even get the + icon with the circle, it still takes a sample away from the brush.  I have reinstalled/repaired affinity photo but it didn't make any difference.  I need help.

• Staff

You first need to define the source of the Clone Tool by holding Alt (Windows) or Option (macOS) and click. Once this has been done you'll notice when you move your brush, it's a clone of the area defined by the crosshair and once you click drag it will clone from that point. It's not designed to sample within the the brush preview, see this video tutorial on the Clone Tool.

I have been using the clone tool for 1 1/2 years now and it has worked just fine, as well as the inpainting tool.  But now this procedure does not work.  If I open the inpainting tool and drag it, the red area is not under the brush.  It is like the sample area and the brush are not aligned.  Same with the clone tool, I click to get the + sign into the brush, then I press the alt key and click.  In the past it cloned from that area, but now it selects an area outside of the brush.

• Staff

For the Inpainting Tool, is the layer you're working on, a Pixel layer, if not right click and Rasterise. The Clone Tool has an option to define the source layer on the Context Toolbar, check to make sure this is set correctly, also check to see if Aligned is enabled. When selecting the Clone Tool, you don't need to click anywhere first to get the crosshair, just hold down Alt/Option, then click to set the area.

If an issue still exists please do a screen recording showing the tools in use.