You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Open Recent on the welcome screen?

The startup screen is nice, it makes the app feel less empty when you open it. It has some easily accessible templates and guides. What I'm missing though is an Open Recent list ala Blender or a more graphical one a-la Adobe (i'm perfectly fine with a blender-like one tbh but you might want to experiment some more).

Here's a quick mock-up of how I think it could work (Only showing the 6 more recent files, you'd rarely go more than that, and only 3-4 sounds like too few)

Untitled.thumb.png.3ad7cd21780d560ea46af8d444a8be14.png

Oops just realized the titles for the default screen are above, not under.

Untitled.thumb.png.7cee14b2529cdb020cd2edc9c5035af7.png

Edited by mvlad
Mădălin Vlad
Graphic Designer

13 minutes ago, mvlad said:

What I'm missing though is an Open Recent list ala Blender or a more graphical one a-la Adobe (i'm perfectly fine with a blender-like one tbh but you might want to experiment some more).

If you’re happy to do without a graphical one, there’s already an ‘Open Recent’ option on the File menu.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

7 minutes ago, Alfred said:

If you’re happy to do without a graphical one, there’s already an ‘Open Recent’ option on the File menu.

I know, it's actually what I end up using right now (either close the welcome screen or disable it entirely and then going there). but it'd make for a nicer experience to add that in the welcome screen too (one click instead of three). As of now the welcome screen feels like it's only intended for first time users, not for something you'd like to see every time you open the app. I admit my perception of completeness I shared before is subjective, but having the welcome screen be an indicator of the app finishing loading up (yeah i know they're fast but still) is a very satisfying experience.

Mădălin Vlad
Graphic Designer

• 5 months later...

Agreed with this. The missing "Open recent..." button is one of the biggest reasons I want to hide the splash screen.

Which is a shame, because I often prefer using the welcome screens since they offer a quick way to locate the file I'm currently working on. Not in a droplist menu.

On 7/31/2019 at 12:58 PM, m.vlad said:

I know, it's actually what I end up using right now (either close the welcome screen or disable it entirely and then going there). but it'd make for a nicer experience to add that in the welcome screen too (one click instead of three). As of now the welcome screen feels like it's only intended for first time users, not for something you'd like to see every time you open the app. I admit my perception of completeness I shared before is subjective, but having the welcome screen be an indicator of the app finishing loading up (yeah i know they're fast but still) is a very satisfying experience.

Exactly!! I've thought the same for quite a long time already, but figured I was the only one. :16_relieved:

• 10 months later...

In Adobe CC this huge empty screen area is used for thumbnails of recently opened files. This approach could be mimicked. The welcome screen could also be modelled into something more useful. The current welcome screen is poorly thought out. As a welcome for new users perhaps useful a few times but for regular use of the programs pretty useless.

For regular use the welcome screen should be much more user oriented with recently used files, recently used templates and perhaps a stream of new Affinity Spotlight articles + links for tutorials.

image.thumb.png.70dd114afc70be741baefdc200f9d8c8.png

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

The welcome screen is a lot like other apps - it's more designed and caters to the new recruit and less to the grizzled veteran user. it can be easily turned off for all future openings. I like the idea of a place for recently used items but I also don't want to see the application cluttered with file thumbnails and the like when I first open it. Perhaps if it was in the new and open sections?

2 hours ago, Boldlinedesign said:

The welcome screen is a lot like other apps - it's more designed and caters to the new recruit and less to the grizzled veteran user. it can be easily turned off for all future openings. I like the idea of a place for recently used items but I also don't want to see the application cluttered with file thumbnails and the like when I first open it. Perhaps if it was in the new and open sections?

It already is. This suggestion is to add it to the new screen so the welcome screen stays relevant after the first month of usage and isn't just disabled outright (plus if it's disabled you have to go to the File tab and then under recents to open the recent files, and there's no thumbnails. Sounds like this would be a major improvement)

Mădălin Vlad
Graphic Designer

• 10 months later...

I heartily agree with m.vlad ! Please consider re-instating the EXTREMELY USEFUL recent files thumbnails/list that PPX9 used to have on its start-up screen [or something similar/better] - this was such a timesaver when dealing with a large amount of documents. Being able to see at a glance what you were looking for was SO useful. 
It would be much better than having a max of only 10 recent files listed in the file menu. The old PP start page had files that dated back 3 months!! 

Of course you could make it look slick and in keeping with the new software gui. It would definitely be a major improvement in speed of workflow.

Finding my files is half the battle!:8_laughing:

• 1 year later...
On 7/31/2019 at 12:41 PM, m.vlad said:

The startup screen is nice, it makes the app feel less empty when you open it. It has some easily accessible templates and guides. What I'm missing though is an Open Recent list ala Blender or a more graphical one a-la Adobe (i'm perfectly fine with a blender-like one tbh but you might want to experiment some more).

Here's a quick mock-up of how I think it could work (Only showing the 6 more recent files, you'd rarely go more than that, and only 3-4 sounds like too few)

Reveal hidden contents

Untitled.thumb.png.3ad7cd21780d560ea46af8d444a8be14.png

Untitled.thumb.png.7cee14b2529cdb020cd2edc9c5035af7.png

Yay! Cheers!🤸‍♂️ Now we have this in V2!! I am so impressed. thanks Affinity team!👏👍👍