You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher; Photo Persona: Adding a mask isn't hiding the layer?

I'm trying to add a mask to this little grid of crosses and it should be making them invisible, right? But it's not. (I wanted to use a teexture brush to make them visible) The colour is set to black on the mask (tried turning it to white, doesn't seem to do anything). Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for your help!

Screenshot 2019-07-31 at 16.25.23.png

28 minutes ago, SamMN said:

The colour is set to black on the mask

How did you do that?

Looks white to me.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• Staff

Hi SamMN :)

50 minutes ago, SamMN said:

I'm trying to add a mask to this little grid of crosses and it should be making them invisible, right? But it's not.

When adding a mask in Affinity, they are always applied as blank white masks, meaning they don't mask/hide any content until you draw on this mask or invert it.

As Carl has mentioned above, your mask is white currently (as shown in the layers panel) meaning it isn't hiding any content. Select the mask layer itself, then go to Layer>Invert and this will change your mask layer to black, hiding all content.

Now select your brush tool, apply the textured brush you wish to use and set the colour to white. Select your mask layer and paint away!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

25 minutes ago, carl123 said:

How did you do that?

Looks white to me.

Both colours are set to black when I create the mask and that's the result when I click the Mask Layer button in the layers panel (or Layer / New Mask Layer). Is there a special way of making the mask black that I'm missing?

1 minute ago, Dan C said:

Hi SamMN :)

When adding a mask in Affinity, they are always applied as blank white masks, meaning they don't mask/hide any content until you draw on this mask or invert it.

As Carl has mentioned above, your mask is white currently (as shown in the layers panel) meaning it isn't hiding any content. Select the mask layer itself, then go to Layer>Invert and this will change your mask layer to black, hiding all content.

Now select your brush tool, apply the textured brush you wish to use and set the colour to white. Select your mask layer and paint away!

Ah OK, thanks for clarifying :-)