You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

beta download source changed?

Hey!

I have noticed that the Designer and Photo customer beta installers are now in a Dropbox folder... normally that's no problem but at work Dropbox is blocked. The Publisher customer beta is still downloadable though.

Any chance that you might change that back for Designer and Photo?

All the best,
Chris

PS: If you like maps you might also have a look at this community!
PPS: Want to know more about me and my ways? Head over to an Affinity Spotlight article about me and my maps!
PPPS: Do you love public transit and transit maps too? Then have a look at my home-made collection of transit maps under www.instagram.com/transitdiagrams or www.twitter.com/transitdiagrams

PPPPS: Other works than transit maps can be found here www.behance.net/chrisneuherz 

1 hour ago, mvlad said:

Also what kind of work environment blocks a file sharing platform? Especially one as large as Dropbox

Well, I work in public administration and it is blocked due to high security measurements and policies. :-) 

PPS: Want to know more about me and my ways? Head over to an Affinity Spotlight article about me and my maps!
PPPS: Do you love public transit and transit maps too? Then have a look at my home-made collection of transit maps under www.instagram.com/transitdiagrams or www.twitter.com/transitdiagrams

PPPPS: Other works than transit maps can be found here www.behance.net/chrisneuherz 

1 hour ago, ChrisSmere said:

Well, I work in public administration and it is blocked due to high security measurements and policies. :-) 

Is it downloads or uploads they don't like? 

I switched to using Dropbox to download the betas because the downloads are faster for most people. I didn't consider that places may block Dropbox...

46 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

Is it downloads or uploads they don't like? 

I switched to using Dropbox to download the betas because the downloads are faster for most people. I didn't consider that places may block Dropbox...

Thank you for the response. 

Hmmm, Dropbox and file-sharing in general is -  due to obvious reasons - blocked totally. The website und app is not working at all. 

Ah, I see. Although never had problems with the old download source. Also Publisher beta downloaded fine today. 

PS: also no problems with normal version downloads and their updates from the online store. Works all fine!

43 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

It's a shame they block the download domain (dl.dropboxusercontent.com) as well, as that only serves download links, and doesn't enable file sharing.

Yes, they tend to be too cautious. Makes my live not easier but I have to do my work anyway.

As said, normal updates and downloads of the release versions work fine.

Always like to test new features from the beta though. Kind of cut off from them now. But it's not a big deal. 

Thanks anyway for responding, @Mark Ingram :11_blush: appreciate it!

30 minutes ago, ChrisSmere said:

Yes, they tend to be too cautious. Makes my live not easier but I have to do my work anyway.

As said, normal updates and downloads of the release versions work fine.

Always like to test new features from the beta though. Kind of cut off from them now. But it's not a big deal. 

Thanks anyway for responding, @Mark Ingram :11_blush: appreciate it!

No problem. Chances are the beta will move back to Amazon S3 at some point again, I'm just running a little experiment at the moment, following complaints of poor download speeds from some regions in the World.

On 8/1/2019 at 1:57 PM, Mark Ingram said:

No problem. Chances are the beta will move back to Amazon S3 at some point again, I'm just running a little experiment at the moment, following complaints of poor download speeds from some regions in the World.

Why not host it on both? Having multiple mirrors should certainly increase the chances of users having higher dl speeds

Mădălin Vlad
Graphic Designer

39 minutes ago, m.vlad said:

Why not host it on both? Having multiple mirrors should certainly increase the chances of users having higher dl speeds

We certainly could do, though I think the solution longer term will be using CloudFront as well as S3, then it should be fast for everyone (in the same way that the store works).

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.