You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher: How does one have running numbers for captions?

I've watched the various tutorials, but this one is still escaping me. I have a number of Figures, Tables, Plates and similar things that need captions which may be referred to later. How do I get these to be auto-numbered? Ie "Figure X: basic architecture of the thingie" and then in the text, "Figure X shows the relationship between..." How is this done in Publisher?

I'm on a Mac running Mojave, although I doubt that this is relevant to the question. I'm running on the retail version, which to my knowledge has not yet been patched or upgraded.

• Staff

Hi blw :)

I'm sorry, I'm not 100% certain of your workflow intentions here. Would a numbered list do this for you? You can set the numbers to only restart when manually prompted (Through the Paragraph Studio) so you can continue numbering from where you left off, even across multiple linked text frames. I hope this helps!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

It would be possible to number the figure captions automatically, but I'm not sure how you could keep the numbers synchronized for the text that refers to them.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

This is a situation where a real Digital Asset Manager would be very useful. Keep track of images and other files which are referred to in a text file which is placed in a document.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

This is a situation where a real Digital Asset Manager would be very useful. Keep track of images and other files which are referred to in a text file which is placed in a document.

That has nothing to do with Digital Asset Manager, instead it's something which is handled by publishing software itself for autonumbering figures, tables etc. In other software it's setup like this ...

Format > Paragraph > Designer
Paragraph Tag:
[ Image caption ]
Properties: [ Numbering ]
[*] Autonumber Format:

[ F:Figure\ <n+> ]
"F:" specifiies counter F, so that other auto-numbered paragraphs won't disrupt caption numbers.
"\ " is a non-breaking space, useful for cross-referencing captions near right margins.
"<n+>" increments counter F, which starts at 0, so the first caption defaults to 1, depending on book numbering properties.

The auto-numbering works correctly if the caption paragraph is located:

• in normal Flow A,
  • in a Table cell anchored to Flow A,
  • in a text frame within an anchored frame, but only in the case where there is a single text frame containing a caption in that anchored frame, or
  • in a table cell in a text frame in an anchored frame, also subject to the single-text-frame-caption rule

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

13 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

That has nothing to do with Digital Asset Manager, instead it's something which is handled by publishing software itself for autonumbering figures, tables etc....

I was speaking to keeping track of what images are used in what article. What the number should be would be nice to have automated. If I get some text and some pictures for an issue I want to keep track of them, for that issue, those pics go with that article and so on. A Digital Asset Manager would keep track of text, tables folders of same and or images and fonts. Perhaps we could do the auto numbering in Publisher via the hypothetical DAM somehow.

Auto numbering and auto naming (here is a text file of words, cycle through them) is some thing I would like to see very much, but I will be patient because we must be.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Does this help explain what I'm seeking? This particular sample is from Open Office, but I'm sure that Word, Framemaker and Interleaf all have the feature. (I guess I have just dated myself...)

Screen Shot 2019-07-31 at 9.22.27 PM.png

• Staff

Unfortunately Affinity Publisher doesn't currently support cross referencing, my apologies. You can find out more in the thread below :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Simple cross-referencing (see page 5) can be done today in Publisher, though clumsily. But it only works for page numbers.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

17 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

I was speaking to keeping track of what images are used in what article. What the number should be would be nice to have automated. If I get some text and some pictures for an issue I want to keep track of them, for that issue, those pics go with that article and so on. A Digital Asset Manager would keep track of text, tables folders of same and or images and fonts. Perhaps we could do the auto numbering in Publisher via the hypothetical DAM somehow.

Auto numbering and auto naming (here is a text file of words, cycle through them) is some thing I would like to see very much, but I will be patient because we must be.

That sounds more like a theme of how to organize involved material for publishing then and it can all be done without a DAM, just with some plain file organized project related folder structures. Those are things which are better handled and kept in sync by the publishing software itself, as far as it offers such mechanisms then, since otherwise you have to keep care about the interoperation of different program setups, changes, etc. and their contents (text lists, numberings etc.) in order to hold those always in sync.

However, what the OP is after is more to be able to apply autonumber captions with usable references for figures, tables, sidenotes, footnotes etc. and so something APub actually doesn't support in such a manner.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

1 hour ago, v_kyr said:

OP is after is more to be able to apply autonumber captions with usable references for figures, tables, sidenotes, footnotes etc.

Autonumbering would be really nice and if cross-referencing can be added to it why not. Numbered list is almost ok, but usually there must be some prefix (Fig.) which does not work with list style I am afraid. TOC feature can be used for creating list of images, (I use it all the time in ID).