+1 As I have found myself desperate to invert a vector mask in AD several times.

Win7 Ultimate x64   |   i5-3570K @ 3.4GHz   |   16 GB RAM   |   120 GB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 660 Ti   |   Huion 1060 Plus

ScreenToGIF (Open Source, Portable, ~610kB)

+1 As I have found myself desperate to invert a vector mask in AD several times.

Well, If you're desperate.....

Haul the vector out of the mask position.

Add a white rectangle the size of the canvas underneath it.

Do a compound (or not) Boolean Subtraction of the two.

Stick the result back in the mask position.

Desperate times call for desperate measures  ;) .

That was my work around.

But it is not elegant.

Win7 Ultimate x64   |   i5-3570K @ 3.4GHz   |   16 GB RAM   |   120 GB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 660 Ti   |   Huion 1060 Plus

ScreenToGIF (Open Source, Portable, ~610kB)

Desperate times call for desperate measures  ;) .

Like buying Affinity Photo so you can go back & forth between the apps to use whatever features one but not the other supports?  :o

Affinity Photo 1.6.7 & Affinity Designer 1.6.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.6.11.85 & Affinity Designer 1.6..4.45 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.1.1

Like buying Affinity Photo so you can go back & forth between the apps to use whatever features one but not the other supports?  :o

Now that would be desperate! :D 

But, yup. That's why I also happily continue on with Illustrator and PShop (and even keep Gimp and Inkscape going even though I can hardly stomach them).

Is this feature still not on the steps? It seems like such a logical feature, to be able to mask a path/shape out, not masking everything but that path/shape..

The workaround always have me creating much more complex paths to remove something. Let's say I want to hide a circle in a pixel png, I need to produce(via subtract) a shape that encompasses the whole image except the circle, instead of just creating the circle and hit "reverse mask". Is this complicated to implement?

17 hours ago, Kheewz said:

I need this feature so bad.

If you need to "invert" a mask, Ctrl + click on the mask layer to make a pixel selection, go Select > Invert Pixel Selection (Shift + Ctrl + I) and click the mask button. You end up with the original mask and an inverted mask. 

Hide the mask you don't want (the original).

It might not be "elegant" and it is not a vector mask but it is an inverted mask, if that would help ?

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

On 9/30/2018 at 10:32 AM, toltec said:

If you need to "invert" a mask, Ctrl + click on the mask layer to make a pixel selection, go Select > Invert Pixel Selection (Shift + Ctrl + I) and click the mask button. You end up with the original mask and an inverted mask. 

It might not be "elegant" and it is not a vector mask but it is an inverted mask, if that would help ?

Yeah, it does help. I've been using Photo to invert the mask, but I hope they do implement the elegant way in the near future!

On 9/30/2018 at 3:32 PM, toltec said:

Thank you, it works..! Now if only that exact same function were available for vector masks everything would be better.